strong petrol smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strong petrol smell

Hi Guy's. I'm very new to the M coupe, collected my (Imola S50) just last week. Anyway I have taken various family members and friends on test drives over the last few days and have noticed a very strong petrol smell on a couple of occasions, always after some slight extra use of the right pedal. The first time I noticed it, I thought it may had been due twisty country roads after filling the fuel tank to the brim but I have also noticed it with a 3/4 tank on a straight road. I stopped the car and checked underneath and also under the bonnet but could not see any clues as to where the smell was coming from. I'm thinking it might be in the fuel line somewhere, that only leaks under the extra demands of spirited driving. I wonder if anyone else on here has ever experienced this, may save me looking in the wrong place.

PS. can't smell fuel under normal driving conditions.

Gaz

I have read the filler cap seal can cause problems doesnt sound like your problem but worth checking

Comment

Cheers for the info, think I'll take a look at the filler cap, If only to eliminate it, I guess you would think that a leak in the fuel line would leak at all times, if only a little bit. Gaz

Comment

Boot under fuel filler flap

Gaz,
        check that the rubber boor under and around the fuel filler pipe is not blocked, fuel can leak out of a loosely fixed cap and gather here if the small outlet hole is blocked by debris/silt.I experienced the same strong fuel smell, and found I had a pool of petrol in the rubber boot after I left my filler cap loose.
        James

Comment

Randomly my car smelt of fuel when reversing into the driveway last night. Checked the fuel cap and it wasn't sitting properly, definitely worth checking.

I think I need to unblock the drain hole too, where should it be on the rubber boot?

Ta,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
            I think I need to unblock the drain hole too, where should it be on the rubber boot?

Ta,

Paul
            It is directly at the bottom of the curve furthest away from you when you stand looking at it - use a thin piece of wire to clear it out. If you cant see it if it is blocked use your finger to feel for it before you go piercing anything!
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Cheers guys, I will be checking this out later, beginning to sound quite feasible. Also believe that the sun roof was open on all occasions that I noticed this, maybe air flowed past the filler cap area and then in through the sun roof, made this smell worse. Gaz

Comment

Believe it or not but my car failed its MOT a couple of years back for having a damaged fuel filler cap gasket!

I think the new cap was about £13
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
                X