Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades

Just though that I would post to say that I have recently performed 2 upgrades to my MC.

I know that there are those who like the sound of the MC as standard but I felt that it lacked a little 'balls' when it came to its exhaust note. Last week I had Charlie at Pro-Speed fit new back-boxes to the old girl and it sounds great now. Low rumble at start-up and then a good scream at 4-7K rpm.

Now with all of that noise, the standard cassette/CD changer and standard speakers were no way near a match for the new bark of the engine. I bought an Alpine single CD head unit with built-in iPod interface and had it fitted by a nice guy from Halfords. Instantly the sound was much better but the spakers were not good at high volume. I purchased some Vibe 13cm component speakers online and fitted the bass and tweeter speakers to the roof in the back. I inherited a JL sub speaker from the previous owner (warboys) so I bought an amp and had that mounted (by the Halfords guy) in the space where the CD changer was. Result - great improvement on the sound. I still have a set of 13cm Vies to fit to the front of the car but need to work out how to include or replace the door tweeters.

Anyone out there want to but the BMW business cassette player and 6 CD changer from me? I will not be going back to it!

I'm interested if anyone else has tackled the front speakers before I try. I know that there are some threads on the forum about this but it would be good to know who else has gone down this road already.

James

Nice one James. I too have a Prospeed exhaust and an Alpine Head Unit with iPod interface - no more taking a wallet full of CD's with me in the car - plug the iPod in, leave it in the glove compartment and you have a hidden jukebox at your disposal
    '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

if you only replacing the main speakers that easy, just upscrew the black cover and swap them over, the cables wont match but if you dont want to start cutting them you can buy adaptors!

the tweeters are another story, i didnt bother! im assuming the new speakers you have got are 2/3 way ones, either way they will still work!

Comment

how much are you after
        Gruppe M
        EBC redstuff Pads
        EBC drilled and grooved discs
        Braided brake lines
        Gun-metal alloys
        Strong Strutt
        KW Variant 3

Comment

The Ipod interface and Alpine unit is excellent, i have had it in mine for a while now and would be lost without it!!

p 5ary, if you are after a H/U and CD changer drop me a PM ;-) finally took the changer out of the boot last week!

Comment

Hi B3N,

I have those stupid amp things bolted to the back of the passenger footwell speaker. Thinking of bypassing the amp (throwing it away) and connecting to the stock door tweeter instead of the tweeter that comes with my speaker set. Probably best to run new cables from the back of the head unit I guess. Then I know what does what!

Comment

is the wire there from the tweeter? if not you will have to get into the door panel!

running new wires would be a lot easier, or you could go to halfords and blame them if they brake it!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X