Hi all, still havent got an M Coupe yet but will be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, still havent got an M Coupe yet but will be

getting on. I have posted on here before, however, i chose to go with an imported japanese number namely a Celica GT4 ST205, dont know if any of you are aware of that.

In anycase, its 4WD and that was the main reason why i chose it, however, i regret it know having seen an MCoupe pass me the other day, the view of the rear of that car is gorgeous and lets be honest, thats the view most would get.

Here is my question though. I`m adamant that in the next 1-2 months I will be a proud M coupe owner, however, i`m contemplating a number of things.

I have been doing a lot of research about Z3M`s both on these forums and elsewhere, 368s etc etc and this is my dilemna

S54 or S50, i know the former is more recent and has a bit more HP but also has the problems with the e46 engine. It does, however, i am led to believe have greater mid and top end but the the S50 has a greater low end due to the diff (i`m not a mechanic,just regurgitating things i`ve read).

Now having read around the post, there is plenty out there this is my dilemna. do i go with the more "bulletproof" S50 and use FI or do i stick with NA and get a S54. Is the drive that much different between the S50 and S54, has anyone on here owned both. I also appreciate the S54 is more likely to come with a warranty although having read around that here there seems to be an excess with every claim if you manage to beat the "wear and tear" caveat.
    Is the driving experience with FI that much better that it just makes going with a NA S54 a no-brainer and the drivability, reliability issues a non-entity.

I dont know, i just dont know, all i know is that i want one.I chose the turbo`d GT4 as it has similar speed, evo getting 5.2s (0-60) although the look of the ZM is to me just beautiful. I just want an engine with endless pull but i dont want reliability.

Does anyone here have any experience with running a FI s50, is it livable, do you need to get your hands oily every sunday to keep it on the road. Which ones are the best, there are plenty AA, GPower, some fella in Turkey DA Motorsport has installed it on an MRoadster. They all presumably come with warranties.Damn i`m rambling.

I want one but which one. Test drive perhaps is the only answer but what are owners experiences and those with more knowledge of mechanically related matters(perhaps practically everyone on here)

I think the answer to your question all lies in how much can you afford to spend?
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

well that isnt the real issue

I will pay what i need to , to be honest mate. I want to know whether it really is worth it. I do realise how subjective this all sounds but does a FI S50 drive noticeably faster then an S54 to make the extra expense worth it. There is only so fast you can go on our roads so i am not interested in top speed at all. I want that thrown into the seat feeling you get when you drop your rt foot. I am aware of its ability to act like an artilley shell and just be launched into the horizon under normal guize but if a pulley is added is that thrill exponentialyl increased or does it leave people deflated and expecting more.I am not a mechanic so if any problems do develop with the FI motor then it would be "stealers" or indys that dealt with it unless i attempted to mug up on the more simpler DIY tasks with these cars.

Comment

What is FI?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
          What is FI?
          only thing i can think of is fuel injection

Comment

FI = Finland
            or
            FI = Forced induction

I put my money on latter!

US S52 FI is quite common in USA, but FI S50 or S54 are quite rare around here. Of course it can be done, g-power for example.
            S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
            Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I think you have been getting too much info from 368s.com. FI is a common mod there because the S50 they have is not as powerful as the one we get in the UK. There is not much difference, performance wise between the UK S54 and UK S50. I would hardly call the S50 bullet proof either :!:

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
                I think you have been getting too much info from 368s.com. FI is a common mod there because the S50 they have is not as powerful as the one we get in the UK. There is not much difference, performance wise between the UK S54 and UK S50. I would hardly call the S50 bullet proof either :!:
                True. S52 in US models is the engine that is called as bullet proof.
                S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Originally posted by MrMicko
                  Originally posted by maahny
                  True. S52 in US models is the engine that is called as bullet proof.
                  it should be its only kicking out 240bhp!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X