Emergency Tyre Inflation Kit ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Tyre Inflation Kit ...

A recent incident ops: required me to use the compressor+gunk kit that we carry, but with no positive result (The gunk should react with air and become firm, whereas my gunk remained in its liquid form).

I have spoken to BMW and apparently the gunk cannisters have a 'Best Before Date' - it may well be worth checking the bottom of your kits so that you do not become stuck - as I was.

Part numbers:
    S50 Replacement Gunk Cannister: 71.10 - 2 229 882
    £25.51
    S50 Compressor Kit: 71.10 - 2 228 573 ... is now: 71.10 - 2 228 911
    £98.50
    The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
    RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Re: Emergency Tyre Inflation Kit ...

Originally posted by Trundler
    A recent incident ops: required me to use the compressor+gunk kit that we carry, but with no positive result (The gunk should react with air and become firm, whereas my gunk remained in its liquid form).
    In my experience the gunk actually remains liquid. It is supposed to slosh around the inside of the tyre when you drive it and react with the rubber (where the puncture is) and create a seal. I also thought that the liquid would solidify in the wheel but apparently that isn't the case.

One thing to note is to tell the tyre fitter that you have filled the tyre with the gunk. When I took the tyre in to be replaced the fitter was most thankful for letting him know that the gunk was in the wheel as it goes everywhere when they take the tyre off......

Comment

I was un-sure what to expect when I tried the inflation kit, and the instructions weren't that great TBH.
      I think that I'll procure and only carry a space saver spare & jack in future, the weight penalty won't be that great and its technology I know!!
      :)

FYI - The Part's Advisor I spoke to at BMW was also under the impression that the gunk should solidify ...
      The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
      RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Trundler

Is there a particular BMW space saver that will fit our cars? I am very keen to have this with me on longer trips.
        2010 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue, Sepang Bronze Light
        Ex 2000 Z3 M Coupe Estoril Blue, Estoril / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Manic
          Trundler

Is there a particular BMW space saver that will fit our cars? I am very keen to have this with me on longer trips.
          any five stud BMW space saver

Comment

just like this!
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Space-Save...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Ben's right 8), but ... do we assume that the rolling radius is the same?
              My rr works out to be approx 318mm (1/2 17" wheel + 102mm side wall) ... :?:

Comment

if it fits a 17" wheel on a 3 series then i cant see any problem with the MC

Comment

that was my thought - just need to get a jack to fit into the space in the boot tool tray ... any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Trundler
                    that was my thought - just need to get a jack to fit into the space in the boot tool tray ... any ideas?
                    where would the jacking points be on the car? on my old e36, the BMW jack actually fitted into holes in the side skirts.

I think you would need a scissor jack as this would be the lowest profile for the space available.

You know that the tool tray on the right side when removed reveals a lot more space! mine is getting filled by an alpine amp, but you could easy get a scissor jack in there.....

Comment

Trundler,

If you do get a space-saver wheel, then check that the wheel bolts for your "stars" also fit the space-saver. Years ago, I had a puncture and when I fitted the space-saver I discovered that the wheel wouldn't turn because the bolts were too long!

The best answer to this problem is to get each of your wheels filled with Ultraseal.
                      http://www.ultrasealuk.biz/home1.htm#currentPageTarget

ZZZEMMCO has this stuff in his wheels and it certainly doesn't slow him down, does it : :?:

Unfortunately, it can't be put inside my 18" tyres otherwise I'd use it too.
                      /// Exdos ///
                      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                        The best answer to this problem is to get each of your wheels filled with Ultraseal.
                        http://www.ultrasealuk.biz/home1.htm#currentPageTarget
                        Will this seal a cut in the sidewall? My understanding is that ultrseal stays liquid so that it can be distributed around the inside of the tyre (which would tend to spread around the tread rather than the sidewall?)
                        SEP 2003: Bought 2002 Titanium Silver with Black Leather.
                        OCT 2003: Adjustable interior Rear View Mirror.
                        Early 2005: Front Strong Strut. Replaced all tyres with F1s. Added rear Strong Strut.
                        AUG 2005: EXDOS Mod
                        SEP 2006: Retrofit Cruise Control
                        NOV 2007: SOLD

Comment

As I understand, the centrifugal force will spread the gunk around the whole of the inside of the tyre and wall, but obviously more will spread over the tread area than the wall, but with sharp cornering the wall should also be covered. The stuff is thixotropic so it won't all run to the bottom of the tyre when you stop.

Obviously, there will be some punctures that are just too big for the Ultraseal to effectively "repair" and perhaps Trundler's puncture was one of them. Fortunately, punctures are not the common occurence they used to be in the halcyon days of motoring, but they will always be a curse when they happen.
                          /// Exdos ///
                          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

The cut in my side wall was almost surgical looking & 3/4" long.
                            (I could stop the air leak with light finger pressure).
                            Agreed that punctures are rare - this was my first in 100K + miles!!

Comment

Originally posted by B3N
                              that space saver on ebay will not fit over the m brakes. look at how tight the 17" diameter is as standard against the brake caliper, it will need to be an m spec spacesaver!
                              Gruppe M
                              EBC redstuff Pads
                              EBC drilled and grooved discs
                              Braided brake lines
                              Gun-metal alloys
                              Strong Strutt
                              KW Variant 3

Comment

Working...
                              X