Steering Rack / seat runners / warranty / dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack / seat runners / warranty / dealerships

Popped MC into Scotthall in Ruislip for MOT and service to be told that the steering rack needs replacing again, and that it is an out of warranty replacement. This is odd, since Scotthall of watford put a brand new rack in 10 months ago, under the extended warranty. Surprisingly Ruislip have no access to Watfords records, but if proven today, will put a new rack in under two year warranty for parts fitted.

Also need new seat runners, a £900 job, which also is not a warranty claim. Has anyone else had seat runners replaced under the BMW extended warranty? I am not paying this for a couple of seat runners.

Various other stuff needs doing too (£130 to change two dashboard lights) and some suspension bushes, which I shall get done elsewhere, once the warranty has run out in September.

Gear box still iffy, although not according to Ruislip dealer.

Clutch also ok, despite point of drive dropping to the floor and pedal becomming stiff if not driven for two days.

Can't recommend this dealer to anybody.

Is there a decent independant in either north london, or Watford / Uxbridge areas?
    Estoril S50

use Phil Crouch at Birds.

He runs his own company through their workshops - CPC automotive .
    I should get commission for advertising.

They are based near Uxbridge

Comment

I've had both seat runners replaced under EW at Coopers wimbledon.
      '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

just recently had drivers seat runners replaced at Scotthall Leeds
        PhilT.

2002 S54
        Titanium Silver/Laguna Seca Blue

Comment

Did the (Watford fit) rack come supplied with its own 12 month warranty?
          If so you should be able to get Watford to sort without using the EW.
          The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
          RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

why replace the seat runners? If you have rocky seats, you can replace the seat bushings only.

:?

"Café-Racer mit Raketentrieb"

Comment

How can BMW EW claim that the steering rack is outside the scope of the EW? It is an essential part of the car and surely cannot be considered as a wear & tear item. The same applies to the gearbox and the seat runners.

Stand up for yourself and take on BMW EW head on.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

It appears that different dealerships consider different items to be warranty repairable. I have never had any problems at Watford, but they will no longer pick up and deliver the car for service, which is why it is in Ruislip. I will be removing it from the dealer network as soon as the warranty expires, since there is no way I am paying the new prices, and there is no point in servicing it at BMW once the warranty expires.

Thanks for the tip off for the uxbridge garage, I will give them a ring in September.

Ruislip are refusing to do the seat runners, so it will probably end up back in Watford for that. I know someone had this done there under warranty.
                If the warranty had expired, yes, I would just change the bushes if this solves the problem.
                Estoril S50

Comment

I am sure the rack will be replaced under warranty, it was last time. I think their argument is at 80k miles it is clapped out. It is just puzzling that the new one has only done about 7k miles. It should have a two year warranty anyway as a new part, once Ruislip can check with Watford that it was done last year.

My other car is a Merc, and all their dealerships are networked to the same data base, and can see what has been done and where. Odd that BMW dealerships, even in the same group, aren't.
                  Estoril S50

Comment

Originally posted by murphthemog
                    I think their argument is at 80k miles it is clapped out.
                    In that case what does the EW cover :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
                    BMW EW can't have the penny and the bun.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Did the dealership say that the rack needed replacing BEFORE you told them it had been replaced 10months before? Could just be a bit of money making.

Racks would normally last a lot longer than 80k miles but it depends a lot on how the car is driven (turning wheels on the spot etc).

Comment

Yes, they were unaware that the rack had been changed. Mainly because they don't seem to have any access to BMW records.

My wife normally drives the car, and is very particular about not turning the wheel with the car stationary due to her being a senior advisor in the IAM. Apparently such things are 'not done'.
                        Estoril S50

Comment

You should be able to get 12months warranty on the rack from the other dealer I'd have thought anyway BUT I've found that Z3s seem to have noticeable "play" off centre on the rack when the car isn't driven (when you waggle the wheel lightly) but it isn't noticeable when being driven.

Could also be a slack steering column joint or track rod end.

Comment

The rack and seat runners are now being done under warranty in Ruislip, which is cool. Just need to get someone to admit the gear box is rubbish, and we'll be there.
                            Estoril S50

Comment

glad to hear you're getting somewhere!

With my EW nearly at an end I took the car in to get some niggles fixed, one of which was the creaky seat runner problem. Unbelieveably given the posts below and others about getting this replaced under EW, Cotswold (Cheltenham) refuse to do this under EW. :evil: £900 incl labour sir. :evil: :evil: :roll:

Clearly I'm not paying that. Cue discussion about inconsistency of dealers etc - all I can tell you is that the warranty company say it's not covered sir. What should I do if I disagree? Take it up with the warranty company sir.....

I don't imagine getting any mileage from the warranty company, but I feel like writing to the boss at Cotswold or should I go higher - BMW GB?? to try and get this sorted. And what evidence should I go with - anecdotal from this site or get people to send copies of their bills in? Murph - how did you change the chimps at Ruislip's minds?

On the plus side, they agreed to change my VANOS even though I haven't heard the dreaded rattle (but did ask them to check it).

Comment

Working...
                              X