Road works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road works

Is it me, or are they closing roads more and more of late....? What happened to traffic light control?
    Its better to burn out than to fade away....

Budgets need to be fulfilled so roads are dug up for the sake of it....

A road near me has been relaid 3 times in 4 years and its not even a main road!

Comment

wish they would relay the roads round me!
      need a bloody 4x4 just to get on the main road!

Comment

My personal favourite is the number of roundabouts that are being constructed that include traffic lights. Surely the point of a roundabout is to avoid putting up traffic lights. If you want traffic lights just make it a fucking junction!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dare2Fail
          My personal favourite is the number of roundabouts that are being constructed that include traffic lights. Surely the point of a roundabout is to avoid putting up traffic lights. If you want traffic lights just make it a fucking junction!!
          Yes! That is so true, who the hell came up with the idea of traffic controlling a round about!

Comment

Well, another stinking road has closed near me, this is getting so stupid and starting to wind me up, so much so that I decided to actually call the number on one of those yellow signs they put out saying, "Call here for Information".....

I spoke to a council engineer who looks after the road imrovment schemes. I said to him that I noticed over the past year or so that more and more road work organisations just close roads and do not bother with traffic control systems any more. He said it has changed recently...

He explained that the health and safety rules have been in place for many years, however, road works companies generally took a chance setting up the works and using traffic lights to control the traffic around the cordoned off areas. Where as now, due to injuries and accidents, the health and safety is much more strict and wants proper proceedures put in place to protect the workers from traffic.

There are guide lines on how close moving traffic is allowed to be to a works unit, and what speed limits are in place, plus there has to be a certain width of traffic lane so passing traffic can easily get through. If all this criteria is met, where possible, then they will keep the road open. He said that now 80% of road works in the Hampshire area will cause the road to be closed until completion. He also said that all the companies like Electricity board, Water Board etc etc are under the same pressures to provide a safe working environment.

So there you go, expect to see lots more road closures from now on. :shock:

Comment

Working...
            X