Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky electric window + noise at 4000 rpm

Hi guys - couple of slight annoyances to solve:

a) the driver's side electric window has been loathe to go up and down for some time now. I've had the motor and regulator replaced twice before EW ran out, but (as explained to BMW :roll: ) the problem appears to be the rubber seals gripping the pane of glass too tightly. I tried peeling it away and squirting some water with a little washing up liquid in down the gap to lubricate it a bit which worked a treat for that day, until it obviously dried up the next and the problem returned :roll:

I know someone posted about his before the server lunched itself - poss Exdos I think...? Anyone got any bright ideas?

b) When driving hard, if I close the throttle above 4000 rpm and allow the engine speed to drop to about that level (most noticeable in 3rd), I get a fairly noticeable rattly noise - sounds to me like something reaching it's resonating level as there's nothing either side of that engine speed.

The VANOS has been done recently under EW, but the noise was there before that too. It doesn't worry me but is a little annoying - again any thoughts?

Thanks

Ben,

a.) Get some silicone (comes in a spray can like WD40) and squirt that in between the rubbers using the little tube. If you do it only a fairly regular basis then it works a treat.

b.) where's the noise coming from, front or back? Could it be the sound of the exhaust when you lift off?
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Hello Ben

The resonating noise is one I have heard on a few cars including intermittently my own when the revs are dropping at 4000k there will be a rattle/vibration, below these revs ot dissapears and above also!

I have asked this to be checked out many times!.... it is apparently a heatshield!

the window motor does not need replacing but BMW seem to do it every time... for the work I would assume! remind you of the VANOS issue??(they have work targets to achieve too!!)

Mine now gets a spray of lubricant which completely sorts it for 6-9 months

I will enquire what the lubricant used is.

hope this helps

Lee
      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
        Ben,

a.) Get some silicone (comes in a spray can like WD40) and squirt that in between the rubbers using the little tube. If you do it only a fairly regular basis then it works a treat.

b.) where's the noise coming from, front or back? Could it be the sound of the exhaust when you lift off?
        The only issue with silicone spray is the film it leaves on the windows :shock:

Comment

Ben,
          For your windows, get a good qaulity glass cleaner, and maybe some rainex, it's a product that many bikers use for the visors on their crash helmets.

Steve.
          2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Mine does the 4000rpm rersonating thing too, it sounds like it's coming from behind the dash, but most likely is a heat shield on the bulkhead. It doesn't always do it and had stopped altogether until recently.

Comment

Same resonating thing here too with the same sympthoms you guys have. Still haven't figured out what it is. Car is 1999 M Coupe.
              S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
              Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Re: sticky electric window + noise at 4000 rpm

Originally posted by BenH
                Hi guys - couple of slight annoyances to solve:

a) the driver's side electric window has been loathe to go up and down for some time now. I've had the motor and regulator replaced twice before EW ran out, but (as explained to BMW :roll: ) the problem appears to be the rubber seals gripping the pane of glass too tightly. I tried peeling it away and squirting some water with a little washing up liquid in down the gap to lubricate it a bit which worked a treat for that day, until it obviously dried up the next and the problem returned :roll:

I know someone posted about his before the server lunched itself - poss Exdos I think...? Anyone got any bright ideas?

b) When driving hard, if I close the throttle above 4000 rpm and allow the engine speed to drop to about that level (most noticeable in 3rd), I get a fairly noticeable rattly noise - sounds to me like something reaching it's resonating level as there's nothing either side of that engine speed.

The VANOS has been done recently under EW, but the noise was there before that too. It doesn't worry me but is a little annoying - again any thoughts?

Thanks
                With regards to the noise that some of you are experiencing, look at the following http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...29&hg=18&fg=10, item number 17(bolt) can come loose or sheer off which causes the exhaust to rattle, this maybe the cause :?:

With regards to the windows, i've noticed that they can sometime move in their runners, lubricating will help but it maybe that they just need tightening up so they stay true and aligned when operating :?:

Hope this helps
                99vS50 Titan silver, currently on life support waiting for a miracle cure

Comment

I love this forum!!

Thanks guys - Will investigate when I have some spare time (few weeks!)and report back!

The noise does sound kind of like coming from behind dash so sounds similar to c_w - maybe heatshield...

Cheers 8)

Comment

Since I bought the car, I think that noise was the vanos itself, but now I see it is not!!!
                    That rattling noise between 4.500 and 3.500 in desaceleration was driving me crazy because it is too loud, and I'm so worried thinking it was the engine!!! :?

I had notice that not always he makes that noise, but I never supose it could be a heatshield.. :|

Thank guys!!

Comment

Working...
                    X