RE: Clarkson on the Z4 MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Clarkson on the Z4 MC

Here's an extract from Clarkson's column in today's Sunday Times; the full article can be found at: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...338725,00.html

"Sadly, I’m unable to be quite so enthusiastic about the limited edition BMW Z4 M coupé — a hard-top, hardcore version of the Z4 M convertible. The idea’s good enough. I reviewed the soft-top car a few weeks ago and thought it quite comfy, more a rival for the Jaguar XK than a Honda Fireblade. So the notion of beefing up the suspension and adding a roof to create a stiff road-going racer — yes, that sounds grand.

Hmmm. The first problem is that its back end appears to have been styled by someone who wasn’t concentrating. The old Z3 M coupé was deliberately ugly, like the bastard son of Gérard Depardieu and a bread van, whereas this new one’s just plain, like a supermarket checkout girl.

The second, bigger problem is one of expectation. It’s a long-nosed, short-tailed, two seater in the mould of, say, the old Austin Healey. You know it’s been stiffened up and you know it has the engine from an M3. You can see the fat tyres and the four exhaust pipes, and as you sit there gripping the almost absurdly thick rimmed steering wheel, you are expecting greatness.

And it doesn’t come. Drive it normally, on reasonably smooth roads, and it feels like a normal Z4 M, only with a hard roof and an ugly backside. And you can’t see why you might want to spend nearly £42,000 on such a thing.

Model BMW Z4 M coupé

Engine type 3246cc, six cylinders

Power 343bhp @ 7900rpm

Torque 269 lb ft @ 4900rpm

Transmission Six-speed manual

Fuel 23.3mpg

CO² 292g/km

Acceleration 0-62mph: 5sec

Top speed 155mph (limited)

Price £41,285

Rating

Verdict Unheard of — a BMW that disappoints

Then you find the sort of twisting, bumpy back road that the Ramblers’ Association would like to see governed with a 3mph speed limit and you think: “Yes. Here we go.”

But it won’t. Oh sure, the engine’s a masterpiece but the traction control light flickers constantly, suggesting that the suspension is so stiff the rear wheels are actually airborne half the time. So it lurches and pitches and is generally pretty horrid. Couple this to brakes that are too sharp, a clutch that requires practice and a steering system that’s been toughened up — but not enough — and you’re left with something rather underwhelming.

It’s probably the first disappointing BMW M car I’ve ever driven.

If you want this sort of car, the Porsche Gayman is an obvious rival. It goes harder but is deeply embarrassing to be seen in. So what I’d do is buy the soft-top Z4 M instead. Or if you want something really fun for the weekend, buy a digger."
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Either the Z4MC is a truly polarising car, or was Clarkson just having an 'off day' on this particular occasion ???

The Z4MC is one hardcore motor -- obviously a bit too hard for the rapidly ageing curly-haired tall-one.

...and is it just me, or has Top Gear replaced Last Of The Summer Wine as the Sunday evening viewing of choice, for those who want to watch three middle-aged men acting like small boys ?

Crikey, just read my own words - bit moody tonight obviously :?: :)

- Will -

Comment

Originally posted by wfarrell
      Either the Z4MC is a truly polarising car, or was Clarkson just having an 'off day' on this particular occasion ???

The Z4MC is one hardcore motor -- obviously a bit too hard for the rapidly ageing curly-haired tall-one.

...and is it just me, or has Top Gear replaced Last Of The Summer Wine as the Sunday evening viewing of choice, for those who want to watch three middle-aged men acting like small boys ?

Crikey, just read my own words - bit moody tonight obviously :?: :)

- Will -
      Last of the summer wine, bit sad if you ask me! :wink:

Comment

Aggree, I actually used to rush home from work to watch Top Gear but now I just cringe as I watch the small fella just kiss up to Clarkson as if his job depends (and it probably does) on it. Terrible tv.
        Ex - 99 Cosmos Black M Coupe, Blk/Grey interior, Sunroof;
        06 Z4 Coupe 3.0i Sport.

Comment

It's embarassing to say but I actually enjoyed the last series of 5th gear more than the last series of Top Gear :shock: . I don't care about Toybotas or caravan fires, I like fast cars. Plus now Vicky Butler thingermebob has lost a few pounds again just adds to the channel 5 charm.

Blimey that was a bit moody too, must be 'cause I've got a cold and feel sorry for myself ops:
          99T Estoril Blue, Sunroof, HK Speakers, Cruise
          Read my M Coupe experience @ Auto-Journals.com

Comment

agreed she is not fat anymore but she is still a moose! And plato is a knob!
            put tiff back on top gear and all will be ok again!

but 5th gear come on! top gear is as much about entertainment as cars now!

but your right it does get a little wearing how far up clarksons arse they get!
            they will be coming out of his mouth very soon!

Comment

for my think Clarkson isn't a good journalist
              For have an idea of the car,need to drive it...
              For exmple i never read in all world magazine ,the m3-m5-z3 m the car have bad brake sistem...
              www.fastdrive.org
              S50 black/black-red In Rome
              Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by BEN
                ...but she is still a moose! And plato is a knob!
                Don't you hold back now will you Ben :?:
                Carbon Black M3 Hack

Comment

Originally posted by 'MC' MarkC
                  Originally posted by BEN
                  ...but she is still a moose! And plato is a knob!
                  Don't you hold back now will you Ben :?:
                  speak my mind i do! 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X