Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MC Depreciation

Hello folks,
    lately there has been a lot of discussions around depreciation of our MCs.
    From a practical point of view, can members of this forum do anything to stem the depreciation? or is it one of those things that we just go with the flow?

In an ideal world everyone UK MC owner will be a member of this forum, if that was the case we could control prices?????

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Its a buyers market and most cars are seeing what you may call 'drastic depreciation' contrary to what you may have thought your car is worth.

I am in the fortunate position where I bought a car for a good price and am not going to let depreciation worry me.

Afterall, most cars people own will depreciate!

Comment

you do have a good point Greenbat, after all it is what manufacturers like Caterham do as they have complete control of the market!

We have a low production car with a decent community of owners and I think it would be possible to certainly help prices stay stronger.

I mentioned before a private section of the forum for owners ONLY, which we could then discuss a sellers price amongst other things!

I think it would be useful
      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

I got mine for a very good price and nearly 2 years in don't think I have suffered too much despite what seems like recent significant falls.

But it doesn't matter too much to me because all being well I intend to keep the MC for a significant time and over that period I'm sure depreciation will be very good in comparison to anything else I could be driving offering similar performance, reliability, practicality and joy of ownership.

If you are clever and/or lucky, and buy the right car for the right price at the right time, you can run a good car with low depreciation (my last Porka - 5 years = £3750 depreciation). I reckon the MC will do OK.
        Col N.
        Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
        ex Audi S4 Avant
        ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
        ex Porsche 968

Comment

i think the key to controling the price of the car when/if you come to sell it is dependant on what situation you are in.

when i had to sell my one last year i needed to shift it quick and i only had one person look at it so had to take the offer !

if you dont need to sell or sell in a rush then every would get the money the want/deserive!

Comment

it is what manufacturers like Caterham do as they have complete control of the market!
            :shock:

Oh, if only that were true! We would love to control the market :twisted:

The reason Caterham residuals are so high is that, although there are more alternatives now than there used to be, the majority of buyers have always wanted a Caterham and nothing else will do. Therefore buyers usually only look at the price of OTHER caterhams for comparison.

Its an impractical luxury product that cannot be used everyday, so most owners have it in the garage and have some flexibility about when they sell it.

This, combined with a relatively scarce supply, no discounts on new cars and a gradually evolving product (rather than a new model every few years) keeps prices very strong.
            Having said that, having a fair chunk of the UK's used stock held by the manufacturer certainly adds stability.

Compare to the MC. Yes, there aren't many about. But, its a long-discontinued model, there are plenty of alternative 'everyday' cars between £13k and £20k (maybe not with the performance i grant you!) and the cars out there are spread between private owners and small dealers. As most seem to use it as their daily drive, its more difficult to sell it 'at leisure'.

Actually, I think the residuals have been really good on the MC! Imagine if you'd bought an E46 M3 in 2002 and now 4 years later its worth £20k!! :shock: By comparison £15k for a 7 year old 99 MC seems ok to me.....particularly when the whole car market is struggling this year. (latest figures for August show BMW sales are 25% down on 2005!)

An owner's area of the site would be good though.......

Pies
            (i work at Caterham Cars!)

Comment

Originally posted by pies
              it is what manufacturers like Caterham do as they have complete control of the market!
              :shock:

Oh, if only that were true! We would love to control the market :twisted:

The reason Caterham residuals are so high is that, although there are more alternatives now than there used to be, the majority of buyers have always wanted a Caterham and nothing else will do. Therefore buyers usually only look at the price of OTHER caterhams for comparison.

Its an impractical luxury product that cannot be used everyday, so most owners have it in the garage and have some flexibility about when they sell it.

This, combined with a relatively scarce supply, no discounts on new cars and a gradually evolving product (rather than a new model every few years) keeps prices very strong.
              Having said that, having a fair chunk of the UK's used stock held by the manufacturer certainly adds stability.

Compare to the MC. Yes, there aren't many about. But, its a long-discontinued model, there are plenty of alternative 'everyday' cars between £13k and £20k (maybe not with the performance i grant you!) and the cars out there are spread between private owners and small dealers. As most seem to use it as their daily drive, its more difficult to sell it 'at leisure'.

Actually, I think the residuals have been really good on the MC! Imagine if you'd bought an E46 M3 in 2002 and now 4 years later its worth £20k!! :shock: By comparison £15k for a 7 year old 99 MC seems ok to me.....particularly when the whole car market is struggling this year. (latest figures for August show BMW sales are 25% down on 2005!)

An owner's area of the site would be good though.......

Pies
              (i work at Caterham Cars!)
              thanks for the insight Pies! maybe a little wishful thinking from my side but I am sure we can help keep residuals higher.

I agree that they are good in comparison to other BMW's definitely and I have lost very little in 2 years in comparison to 4 month of my last car :?

Pies I have bought my last few cars from Caterham cars including the MC! where do you work as I will know some of your coleagues, Maxwell perhaps? and Mr Ridley and Mr Nokes who came to work for us a while ago!

Cheers

Lee
              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Yes Lee, the secret is out.

I work with Maxwell and Ridley...Minty Noakes left some months ago.

I knew that you bought your car from here.....the boys here all still rave about MC's and we've seen your car going past the showroom in Caterham (hard to miss it!)

Comment

Originally posted by pies
                  Yes Lee, the secret is out.

I work with Maxwell and Ridley...Minty Noakes left some months ago.

I knew that you bought your car from here.....the boys here all still rave about MC's and we've seen your car going past the showroom in Caterham (hard to miss it!)
                  Yes hard to miss, keep meaning to take the vinyl off but I am not sure if it will be one of those jobs I wish I did not start, ie once its off, wash 30 times and the wax 10 times! And the fact that its been stonechip free motoring , especially when doing track stuff!

I think I have seen you once when you turned right to go round the back of Caterham? I was in a silver Lupo GTI and stopped to flash you out.
                  New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                    Yes hard to miss, keep meaning to take the vinyl off but I am not sure if it will be one of those jobs I wish I did not start, ie once its off, wash 30 times and the wax 10 times! And the fact that its been stonechip free motoring , especially when doing track stuff!
                    Lee have the vinyl people got any good designs for black MCs?

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbat
                      Originally posted by Lee
                      Lee have the vinyl people got any good designs for black MCs?

Greenbat
                      A chrome and graphite union jack could look quite 8) on a black car if your into that sort of thing :?:
                      Black S50

Comment

hell im getting the proper one put on mine!

Comment

i've been keeping an eye on MCs on pistonheads and this one has dropped by £4k in about 6 weeks or so - that's depreciation :shock:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/85949.htm

i reckon the owner was maybe just a tad optimistic/naive with his £20.5k starting price.
                          "this space for rent!"

Comment

Why are people giving their cars away ? :?:

Seems daft to me.

Comment

Originally posted by billy
                              i reckon the owner was maybe just a tad optimistic/naive with his £20.5k starting price.
                              bingo :!:

especially when there are good S54's for similar money!
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X