What should i do?....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do?....

I'm in the market for a second car and i was thinking of maybe 911 (993) but i'm a bit worried about spending £25k + on a 10 year old car. :?

I did have an //M roadster (s50) for a year which i enjoyed greatly but the time came for my wife and i to get married so the roadster had to go.

I've always liked the //M coupe, its something about the style. My question is shall i save myself £10k an buy an S50 //M coupe.

Has anyone had experience with the 993?
    Is the coupe a lot better than the Roadster? (i remember a lot of flex in the chassis)
    Suspension on the rear was a bit primitive on the Roadster?
    Depreciation worries of the //M?

I'm in favour of the //M Coupe at the moment simply because i'd be getting similar performance, great looks and a pretty bullet proof motor for maybe £15000.

Please Help

Totally different cars.

Rear engined Beetle Versus BMW's version of a Muscle car.

I have always dreamed of owning a 993 or a 964 but as you say, its a lot of dough for a car that has the obvious potential of being a money pit due to age.

Having said that, M Coupes can be as old as 8 years now, so wear and tear start to be a factor that could certainly attribute to the running costs.

Ultimately, its all about how much you are willing to spend.

I can see the MCoupe being the smarter money in terms of initial outlay, but when it comes to selling,both should and probably will, hold their values well.

Comment

drive them back to back, I have always wanted a 993 but you will find the 993 feels very dated from the upright windscreen to the general steering feel and interior.

The 993 was based around the earlier 964 where as the 996 was a completely new platform.

Good luck with your decision.

My friend with a 993 c2 can not keep up with me in my MC, but his does sound nice
      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

I considered the 993 before I bought my Z3MC, but considered that the MC would:

1. be a *lot* newer, with a *lot* less mileage for the same money
        2. have a fair bit more power (approx 50bhp) and similar weight
        3. be a lot rarer on the road

I think both would depreciate slowly (more so an S54 MC), and personally would expect more issues on an older, higher mileage car (eg the 911)

If ur budget is late teens+ I'd say an S54 for a fair price (do you like yellow ;-) would be a good bet...no potential VANOS rumbles, tho' apart from that the S50 appears pretty much bulletproof IMHO (and VANOS can be done for a grand or so...possibly every few years tho !)

Having said that I would like to own a 911 one day, not quite sure when or which model tho'...guess you should try a good example of them both before you decide anyhow.

Good luck!
        -------------------------
        Ex Ex Ex: 1998 M Coupé, Estoril/Estoril+Black. HK+ MD+CD Changer, roof, side bags, lamp wash.
        Ex Ex: 1998 M3 Evo Coupé, Estoril / Blk with all the toys.
        Ex: 2004 Z4 3.0i, Silver / blk with no roof.
        Now: 2003 M3 CSL, Silver Grey, lots of carbon fibre.

Comment

I have a friend currently selling a 993 C2S wide turbo look body, it was listed as a Cat D due to an ex employee taking out his anger in being laid off, Re-sray and new glass. He'd probably take £15K for it as he's struggling to shift it and has found a 996 Turbo. It's on an N plate if you're interested.
          Shunt
          Ex Z3MC 2000
          Ex Z4MC 2007
          Aston V8V
          M135i

Comment

Interesting comments chaps. I've got some thinking to do :?

Comment

I really can't choose which car. My head says i don't need a second car...... i had an //M roadster a few years ago so i know the costs.

I really love the look of the //M coupe power and performance is probably the best you can get for the money.

My desire is a 911 but the money just puts me off.

I think i should get an M Coupe, but i don't want an estroil one as that was the colour of my roadster. I must try an convince my wife that they don't look like a postman pat van!

Wish me luck

Comment

postman pad no!
                bread van yes!

Comment

Working...
                X