Fitting H&R anti roll bars - Front drop links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting H&R anti roll bars - Front drop links

Today i went to get my H&R anti roll bars installed the back is done but the front is the problem.

The front drop links wont undo to allow them to be replaced is this common? As the only way round this i can see is to order some new drop links, (maybe uprated if they exist?) or is the garage being stupid!
    Ex S54 - She has gone....

When you say they won't undoe, do you mean they are tight, if so, spray some wd on them and give them another go, they have two flats on the inner side so you can get another spanner on them to really apply some pressure.
    On the point of other ones out there, yes there are other ones out there, Demon Tweeks do the Whiteline adj. links.
    Have you OE suspension on your car, if so, you might as well stick with OE links, but only if they are knackered, other than that just re-fit them, as long as you can get them off.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
    2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

I have OE at the moment but will be upgrading in the next few weeks when i get my wheels.

The bolt was just spinning round with the rubber bush if that makes sense, i was confused by the whole thing to be honest. I am not sure the guy was using the correct method to undo them! :?

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
        I have OE at the moment but will be upgrading in the next few weeks when i get my wheels.

The bolt was just spinning round with the rubber bush if that makes sense, i was confused by the whole thing to be honest. I am not sure the guy was using the correct method to undo them! :?
        Like many fittings like this there are flats on the other side to get a spanner on to hold the thread whilst you undo the nut. The threads are usually tight but a bit of wire brushing and WD40 and undoing and retightening they should come off.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
          Originally posted by AJL

Like many fittings like this there are flats on the other side to get a spanner on to hold the thread whilst you undo the nut. The threads are usually tight but a bit of wire brushing and WD40 and undoing and retightening they should come off.
          Ah that clears it up!
          So the guy was a good mech then sure he should know this, shame i didn't at the time as could have got it all done!

Comment

For the "flats" on the inside of the drop links (between the rubber gaitor and the ARB) you need a thin spanner like a bicycle spanner to stop the bolt from turning. Once the nut is sufficiently undone, you can then use a normal thickness spanner to retain the "flat" until the nut is completely off.

Many of us who've changed to H&R ARBs (possibly only those with uprated suspensions) find that the OEM drop links don't last very long with H&R ARBs and cause front end judder/ noise on turning. Where's Imran and his update on this :?:
            /// Exdos ///
            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Are the Demon Tweeks ones any good for this problem?

Comment

The drop links go on a certain way
                if not replaced properly this could possibly
                be the cause for them failing

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by gaz
                  The drop links go on a certain way
                  if not replaced properly this could possibly
                  be the cause for them failing

Gaz
                  Do please tell us more.

Steve.

Comment

The "flats" are supposed to be aligned so that they lie in the vertical, rather than positioned any which way. Personally, I don't think this is the cause of the problem, IMHO the OEM links (and ones supplied by KW) are the weakest link when the ARBs are uprated and they flex too much.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

One simple answer original links are wank end of.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ANIMAL
                        Nick,

You have a certain way with words.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by steve1
                          Originally posted by THE ANIMAL
                          Nick,

You have a certain way with words.

Steve.
                          haha,

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                            The "flats" are supposed to be aligned so that they lie in the vertical, rather than positioned any which way. Personally, I don't think this is the cause of the problem, IMHO the OEM links (and ones supplied by KW) are the weakest link when the ARBs are uprated and they flex too much.
                            Have you seen how much the rear ARB trailing arm mounting points flex too? :shock: if you put a socket over the nut with a short bar and waggle it flexes very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
                              Have you seen how much the rear ARB trailing arm mounting points flex too? :shock: if you put a socket over the nut with a short bar and waggle it flexes very easily.
                              I know :shock:

I'm about to fit adjustable acentric trailing arm bushes to correct the negative camber and excessive tyre wear on the inner of the rears.
                              /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                              X