Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Spats - Sick of It

Dear all,

Is it just me, or does Z3MCoupe.com needlessly suffer from public spats and petty arguments, that frequently result in contributors' personal integrity and character being called into question ?

The vast majority of our members are respectful and tolerant, however I believe there is a small minority who over-react to posted comments and thoughts; the result often being an unpleasant public exchange of unfounded opinions and half-facts.

While debate is healthy and the live-blood of any active club, i fear that the personal and passive-aggressive nature of some recent postings are both off-putting and corrosive to the future good of this forum.

Would it not be better to encourage people to contribute to this forum, and not create a perception that they will be shot down in flames when expressing their thoughts (even in the heat of a debate or argument) ?

Please understand that is just my personal opinion, life will go on, and we can all love each other (in a manly way - just for Ben).

Right then, I'm off to drive my beloved ZMC on a sunny Saturday :-)

- Will -

Z3MCoupe Enthusiast and Forum Member

Unforunately Will all internet forums are prone to this. It seems that people are more likely to have spats in the virtual world than in real life because it is easier for people to express them selves through a keyboard in the comfort of their own home. We just have to remember that people can have different opinions about the same subject.

Its just a part of forum life - just accept it and enjoy your drive. :-P I just noticed - it is really sunny outside! 8-)

Comment

I think these forums self moderate themselves in the main so the odd 'behave yourselves' from moderators is all that's needed. When 'debates' get personal and people feel aggrieved then please tell a moderator via pm and they'll look at it.

One major factor of people not appearing light hearted is the shite selection of smilies available - that's down to me, so you can all call me a useless toss-pot with not understanding of BBS or physics :-P

S.

Comment

Its just a part of forum life - just accept it and enjoy your drive. :-P I just noticed - it is really sunny outside! 8-)[/quote]

you lucky southerners its cloudy and misty up north :-(

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
          Unforunately Will all internet forums are prone to this. It seems that people are more likely to have spats in the virtual world than in real life because it is easier for people to express them selves through a keyboard in the comfort of their own home. We just have to remember that people can have different opinions about the same subject.

Its just a part of forum life - just accept it and enjoy your drive.
          Couldn't have put it any better.

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Sadly common to most forums...

You should see the Lotus 7 Owners club forum www.blatchat.com. Its quickly becoming famous for its 'keyboard heroes' who slag everything and everyone off on the forum but then at club meetings won't admit which username they post under.

It was shut down for 24hrs last week because it descended into a slanging match about the club's finances, gay adoption and god knows what else.....and that's with a forum open only to paying members!!!

My personal favorite for downright abuse of others on a forum is www.barryboys.co.uk
            If you've never looked at it before check out the Barry Boys Gold forum for some hilariously abusive threads..

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=14

Comment

Re: Forum Spats - Sick of It

Originally posted by wfarrell
              Dear all,

Is it just me, or does Z3MCoupe.com needlessly suffer from public spats and petty arguments, that frequently result in contributors' personal integrity and character being called into question ?

The vast majority of our members are respectful and tolerant, however I believe there is a small minority who over-react to posted comments and thoughts; the result often being an unpleasant public exchange of unfounded opinions and half-facts.

While debate is healthy and the live-blood of any active club, i fear that the personal and passive-aggressive nature of some recent postings are both off-putting and corrosive to the future good of this forum.

Would it not be better to encourage people to contribute to this forum, and not create a perception that they will be shot down in flames when expressing their thoughts (even in the heat of a debate or argument) ?

- Will -

Z3MCoupe Enthusiast and Forum Member
              Will,
              I agree with everything you are saying. However, it is not clear who you are referring to (probably deliberate). Some members take the trouble to contribute a disproportionately high level of information (I do not include myself as one of them) and many others feed off this to enhance their MC and their experiences with it.

Occasionally, one of the 'feeders', for no apparent reason, takes offence at informative opinions expressed by another member. That member surely does have the right of reply - if it ends up turning into a 'spat' then so be it. The other forum members can see both sides of the story, judge for themselves, and express their opinion if they wish. This is all part of the healthy 'debate and argument'.

The alternative is for the moderators to continually edit all the posts which contain any form of personal criticism.
              Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

There loads of love on here, its just a shame that people do take things and make them personal
                i dont just think its down to Mods to correct people, anyone can and does do it, but as we all know people disagreeing is just life!

Comment

Will,

I agree that the forum is not 100% friendly 100% of the time but this is pretty normal for Internet forums.

What I like about this forum is that 99% of people are genuinly decent and this can be seen through their posts easily.

We seem to lack many 'random' members who seem to accumulate on forums which increases the number of members but dilutes the chat.

What I must say, which I find most annoying is the personal 'one-up-man' ship that a couple of members have where there are differing views on certain subjects which leaves the rest of us wondering who the real expert is.

IMO, this forum has a perfect balance.

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags

which leaves the rest of us wondering who the real expert is.

maybe you shouldnt look to here for experts, there are no BMW technicians on here.

Pay the right money and use real experts with knowledge of the area you want to take your car, this forum is full of 'Theory' and while some of its good I wouldnt follow it, I use the forum to converse with other decent enthusiasts not to gain free knowledge or cheaper mod ideas for my car.
                    Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                    New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                      Originally posted by Rags

which leaves the rest of us wondering who the real expert is.

maybe you shouldnt look to here for experts, there are no BMW technicians on here.

Pay the right money and use real experts with knowledge of the area you want to take your car, this forum is full of 'Theory' and while some of its good I wouldnt follow it, I use the forum to converse with other decent enthusiasts not to gain free knowledge or cheaper mod ideas for my car.
                      ;)

Well, that wasn't what I was getting at!

Its the debates about certain things.......and you are just reading it and you are left wondering who is correct!

Comment

well mate, surely you know who has the put their theory into practice properly.

take the forum statements with a pinch of salt ;)

and your a good freind of Imran who knows his stuff.
                        Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                        New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

8-)

Comment

Nobody is more sick of spats on this forum than me, because I seem to be the subject of all of them :!:

Yes, I do post a lot, and express a lot of opinions and as such I know that I'm there to be shot at. If my comments provoke debate and discussion amongst others in the forum then that's great. I'm happy to discuss various subjects and be proven wrong and will admit it when I am, but if someone wants to have a personal pop at me with cheap shots then I feel that I have the right of reasonable reply.

I've had another great day out today in the company of 2 other members of this forum. This forum is GREAT and bigger than any one of us :!: 8-)
                            /// Exdos ///
                            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

i am visiting this forum for a number of years (16 may 2003), I am one of the earlier members and must say some great contributers have a left over the years, and some great ones have joined, the balance is good in general and often the reaction/posting of some members is so obvious and predictable I could write the posting for them, which is the entertaining part of this forum. I have met several members several times and must say they all are very helpful and good fun. Take some comments with a pinch of salt and keep visiting the site. As each posting is like pepper and salt to a dish, sometimes to much, most of the times perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X