PDA

View Full Version : Thorney Motorsport

Jimmer
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Had my KW V3 fitted there this week. Very pleased with the service received. They found a few problems with the car which requried extra parts. This took longer than expected but no trouble gve me a courtesy car, sourced and fitted the parts required.
They have set the car up superbly. I can't believe the difference. They even added an extra part which according to them gives even more improvement .
They have plenty of experience and expertise in BMWs.

Can't rate them highly enough. If you are thinking of any upgrades give them a shout.

Web site www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/

wfarrell
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
...what was the 'extra part' ?

Jimmer
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
they added wheel spacers to the front and not the back. It is something they do to all their BMWs. Allegedly settles the car better and improves handling under braking. Time will tell.

maahny
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats Jimmer!

When fitting KW V3's you also have to fit 5-10mm spacers on the front of the M Coupe. The kit
does not fit properly otherwise.

Jimmer
04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Cheers,

That could be the reason then.
I believe they fit spacers to the fronts of all the BMWs they set up for racing. They are preparing a Britcar BMW at the moment.

Waiting to try her out on some roads I know well to see how much of an improvement the suspension has made.

Rags
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
I have never used Thorney, but John is one of the most helpful people to deal with on the phone.

His knowledge is BMW's is pretty good with Franchised dealers getting advice from Thorney on CSL's!

ron burgandy
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
how much did they charge for the parts and fitting?

Jimmer
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
With all the other bits, tie rods x 2, wheel spacers, top mounts, suspension, labour and geo a little under 2k.

exdos
06-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Cheers,

That could be the reason then.
I believe they fit spacers to the fronts of all the BMWs they set up for racing. They are preparing a Britcar BMW at the moment.

Waiting to try her out on some roads I know well to see how much of an improvement the suspension has made.

The majority of race cars have a wider track at the front than the rear. The OEM MC is opposite to this and has a 70mm wider rear track than the front and with wider rear tyres, the outside edges of the rear track are approximately 60mm further from the thrust (centre) line than the front tyres; this considerably affects the dynamic effects of weight transference.

The MC looks aethetically more pleasing though with the wider track width at the rear and if you put spacers on the front wheels only, it makes the rear end look weak and the wheel arches "under-tyred".

Increasing the trackwidth all round, by putting the same size-sized spacers (say, 10mm) on all 4 wheels improves the leverage of the wheels against the suspension to resist lateral weight transfer during cornering and IMHO it also makes the car more aesthetically pleasing, especially when the car is lowered.

As Maahny, says, with KW suspension you have to have spacers on the front wheels, otherwise the spring perches on the coilover dampers prevent the wheels from being bolted on.

I know you'll think your MC drives like a car costing at least twice as much now you've got the suspension sorted. Enjoy :!: :twisted: 8-)

Jimmer
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Cheers Exdos. I have been up to Taunton today and it is feeling so much more planted.
I was told that the suspension will take some time to settle in and that it would get better afetr putting a few miles on it.

Looks as if I will be putting 10mm spacers on the rear next then.

ZZZEMMCO
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Jimmer, Missed you on your return visit to collect !!!.Presume they fitted longer wheel bolts and locking nuts with the spacers ??.

ron burgandy
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
if you are putting new spacers on do you have to buy new wheel bolts, as i have just replaced the bolts and locking nuts, or are there some spacers that
use the original bolts?

Jimmer
10-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Yes they fitted longer bolts to the front to accomodate the extra 10mm. I would imagine this would be the case in all instances, but unsure if you only used a 5mm spacer.