fan speed switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan speed switch

The next in my small catalogue of minor "issues".

The heater fan contol switch only works on 4.......................most of the time, sometimes it is just fine! So I suspect a loose connection somewhere, or a faulty switch. Ideas on where to start looking appreciated. I have already had my hand up the back of the dash for a fiddle there, to no avail.

Cheers,

Richard

You'll probably find its the resistor for the fan.
    There was a strip down guide on here which I used but I can't find it.

Basically
    bonnet open.
    remove wipers
    remove black plastic trim at the bottom of the screen
    (this is held by 8 or so 2 part plastic clips remove the inner 'plug' part then the main bit.)
    remove some rubber trim in the engine bay
    then you'll see the cylindrical black plastic cover for the fan held in by some nylon straps
    undo and remove cover.
    You'll see the resistor in the middle below the fan assembly which slides out.

I'm not sure what the part no.s are but I think it could be MC specific cos the part no. specified in the thread I was trying to find was wrong for my car.

Good luck
    Andy
    98S Estoril, Estoril/Black

Comment

Thanks for that, sounds easy. Though I doubt that it will be. Know roughly how long it might take?

Which piece is it? 4 on the first link, or 3 on the 2nd link? I assume the former as I have a/c.????

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=64&fg=40

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=64&fg=40
      Last edited by CLUMP; 21-04-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Na its dead easy...took 30mins or so!

The part I needed was item 4 in the first link...
        but the thread I used stated the other part so I'm not sure if there is an S50 - S54 differances thing going on.
        Maybe best to go to your parts department and get them to spec the part on chassis/engine number.
        Otherwise do it on a dry day strip it down and take the bit to your dealer.

Cheers
        Andy
        98S Estoril, Estoril/Black

Comment

thanks for the help, will try that this weekend if its dry.

Comment

HTR,

Found this guide on Bimmerforums ,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-on-4-write-up-)

Comment

Just done this fix...I was so delighted with getting my car back from the paint shop....turn on the heater and nothing till max!! ordered part from BMW..wrong part supplied...boll$$$$ ! it was quite simple to see what the problem was,cleaned up all connectors and refitted,working like new now,guess i dont need the reordered part now...easy fix! thanks Dave for the link for removal..takes 45 mins..used a puller on the wipers tho.and cleaned all the crud out what was behind the scuttle cover.

Comment

Working...
              X