Looking at an S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at an S54

Looking at buying an S54. Found one but have been unable to go and see it as yet. On sale for just under 15K with 80K miles. Is this a good price? I have asked the owner a few questions and he said there were two advisories on the last service:

"I have 2 advisories from my service in Jan and am going to book the car in to get these done in the next 2 weeks if it doesn't sell. The advisories are front wishbone bushes starting to delaminate and slight knocking noise from rear - possible rear top mounts."

The last one about the slight knocking noise seems a bit more ambiguous? Any advice on how much this work is likely to cost and anything else the noise could be? The last service was completed at Munich Legends.

Are there any other obvious things I should be looking for when I go and see it?

Cheers

Matt

Welcome Matt (I bet you've never heard that before).

£14/15k seems about right for the mileage. It would be reassuring if Munich Legends is the garage giving the opinion on the rear knocking.
    Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

I would want those jobs doing before handing over 15k, unless of course you get a good overall discount. I would say 14k is more appropriate, I would definitely check the boot floor out for cracks too (another source of creaking from the rear).

Paul

Comment

Sounds good - so "almost" welcome to the club. Finding an S54 is pretty difficult. I would take it along to ML or your local stealers and get the 100 point check done. Will cost you £200 quid but worth it. I would aslo say that it is virtually impossible to buy an MC that some work doesnt need doing - some people just have differing levels of neglect and differing levels of what is acceptable. As long as it all stacks up and nothing is seriously wrong - fill your boots.
        In the long run you wont regret it - judging by my car they are put together pretty well. Saying that i was one of the lucky few to buy through the BMW used car program so have a belt and braces warranty....
        Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Working...
        X