PDA

View Full Version : Recommended London Indy - West 3 Ltd

W1234
05-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Just wanted to recommend these guys to other owners. They did some minor bits and pieces on my car (including sorting my idle issue) - great at keeping in touch, reasonable rates (£59 + VAT an hour), know what they are talking about and generally a good experience all round. Their MD is an ex main dealer senior tech.

Details here:

http://west3ltd.com/

Brewster
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Good news! What was the issue with your idle? It might be worth updating your thread for future searches :thumbsup:

W1234
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Good news! What was the issue with your idle? It might be worth updating your thread for future searches :thumbsup:

Good idea - will do.

Bruski_11
06-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to recommend these guys to other owners. They did some minor bits and pieces on my car (including sorting my idle issue) - great at keeping in touch, reasonable rates (£59 + VAT an hour), know what they are talking about and generally a good experience all round. Their MD is an ex main dealer senior tech.

Details here:

http://west3ltd.com/

good timing on the post as also looking for a some recommendations on a london garage, no work looming just nice to have in the back pocket. Perhaps an ignorant question, but is £59 about right for London labour rates?

W1234
07-05-2010, 09:05 AM
good timing on the post as also looking for a some recommendations on a london garage, no work looming just nice to have in the back pocket. Perhaps an ignorant question, but is £59 about right for London labour rates?

I think it's about right. You can pay less to go further out of town, but there's an added hassle/fuel factor to consider!

Rags
13-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Good tip off as I work in Hammersmith so would be convenient.

I would say £59 is good in comparison to maindealers who are double that!:yesnod::lol:

W1234
21-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Just had a few more bits and pieces attended to by these guys - once again excellent communication, good advice/knowledge, good service and a fair price.

Rags
09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Used these guys at the weekend.

Nice bunch of lads and the owners dad is a good laugh!

W1234
10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Used these guys at the weekend.

Nice bunch of lads and the owners dad is a good laugh!

Glad someone else has given them a shot with a good experience - just got the car back from them and she's running better than ever!

-Keith-
10-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I would say £59 is good in comparison to maindealers who are double that!:yesnod::lol:
Jesus H Christ. No wonder I do 90% of all the work myself. I'd simply not be able to afford to look after a 10+ year old performance car if I was paying that for any jobs I needed doing. That's absolutely insane money?! I'm truly shocked.

59+Vat sounds a lot, but do London dealers really charge near double that?

W1234
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Jesus H Christ. No wonder I do 90% of all the work myself. I'd simply not be able to afford to look after a 10+ year old performance car if I was paying that for any jobs I needed doing. That's absolutely insane money?! I'm truly shocked.

59+Vat sounds a lot, but do London dealers really charge near double that?

It depends on your skill level and how much you value your spare time. I'd only tackle very basic jobs myself, and have no spare time!

That's a pretty normal rate for an indy Keith - main dealers can be up at around the £125/hr mark (depending on the manufacturer).

You've got to remember that the costs of running a workshop aren't that low - for techs, equipment, overheads etc it's not a cheap business to get into, especially with more complex modern cars e.g. diagnostics etc.

I've found West 3 to also be fair when it comes to pricing jobs - they don't just start the clock when the car arrives as some dealers do!

-Keith-
10-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I believe you Will, just I'm shocked labour can be over £100 per hour + VAT!

Last time I used a garage and paid 'book' labour rates was about 5 years ago on a VW Golf - maybe £50 per hour?

Last time I had a mechanic work on my BMW was for an uprated clutch (to much for me on my gravel driveway :lol:) for my 330 Clubsport, but that was a cash deal with my long-time mechanic, so was cheap.

I honestly couldn't run an car as I'd like too (fastidious maintenance) if I had to pay London mechanic prices for all the work I do.

You folk must be decent earners! :cheers2:

W1234
10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I believe you Will, just I'm shocked labour can be over £100 per hour + VAT!

Try getting a decent plumber!

Michael McGovern
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
i wasn't overjoyed with my experience with them. I didnt think there attitude adhered me to come back and left feeling ripped off. I could of just been in a general pissed off mood though.

I didnt find there prices that good to behonest, they moaned about putting in a standard z3 steering rack and wouldnt guarantee the work if i did? go figure? They said that as it was an M it should have m parts only!!! Pretty sure however the main reason was that they made a few pound on the part in the end as alot of mechanics do.

to be fair i cant complain about the fitting it was fast and havent had any problems since.

I am glad you had a good experience i really wanted to but left with a bitter taste in my mouth. Shame its v.local

W1234
02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
i wasn't overjoyed with my experience with them. I didnt think there attitude adhered me to come back and left feeling ripped off. I could of just been in a general pissed off mood though.

I didnt find there prices that good to behonest, they moaned about putting in a standard z3 steering rack and wouldnt guarantee the work if i did? go figure? They said that as it was an M it should have m parts only!!! Pretty sure however the main reason was that they made a few pound on the part in the end as alot of mechanics do.

to be fair i cant complain about the fitting it was fast and havent had any problems since.

I am glad you had a good experience i really wanted to but left with a bitter taste in my mouth. Shame its v.local

Local to East Sussex?!

I'm no tech but if there is an "M" rack which is different to the standard Z3 rack then I'd want the proper unit fitted. Having checked parts prices previously I haven't found a mark-up on parts with these guys.

Still, we can only report on our own experiences!

Michael McGovern
04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I live in East Sussex and London.

the standard z3 rack is quicker and is a mod alot of people do regardless of whether the rack is gone or not.

No matter where you go mechanics pay trade prices and have the opportunity to bill for standard prices. it is up to them to decided if they pass this on or not.

I needed the car (absolutely no choice but get it fixed then), it was them or the dealers i chose them as granted they were cheaper.

I also personally like a bit of feed back once the car has been fixed not just an invoice, perhaps i got their backs up I know im not the most tactful sometimes and perhaps cross examining them isn't what their used too?

Like i said service wise cant fault them. Have you got the coupe near West Acton station? W1234

W1234
05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
It must have been one of those days Michael - I always get plenty of feedback and advice as to anything else the car might need.

I'm based in Putney - there are quite a number of MCs around SW London!

Michael McGovern
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Lucky boy, I haven't actually seen that many M coupes in London, prob no more than 4 or 5. It's a bit of an occasion when i do.

Seen a silver coupe on Chiswick high road a few months ago, I'd just been 'playing' with a 911 before and was still driving at speed. he didn't look too pleased with my antics when he pulled up at the lights next to me, no wave etc, suppose he didn't like being overtaken or didn't like the fact i was half his age? We shall never know.

Seen a few nice coupes at the DTM today at brands, all German though. :thumbsup: loving audi right now, im a sucker for free racing,food and drink.

kieron
31-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Just had Inspection II and brake fluid change at west3 and cant speak highly enough of them. I know Gavin at west3 personally and he is a very professional and extremely knowledgable guy. Dropped the car off to Gavin this morning and have just collected her, amazing service and she is running better than ever.

Gavin called me up and spend 30 mins going through all the small things he found that needs replacing or that might need replacing in the near future, alone with prices for parts and labour. Was no pressure to go with him or have the work carried out there and then.

If anyone is interested here is gavin's mobile number.

Will try and get some prices for Inspection 1 and oil change tomorrow.

Michael McGovern
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Another person who is happy with there service, defo must of been a bad day for both of us.