Rear Axel Carrier Wanted !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axel Carrier Wanted !

Hi guys i think i may need a rear axel carrier , having some camber issues and i think we have narrowed it to the axel carrier .Rumour is the axel is the same as on e30 but not according to real oem ??? lol DAVE HELP!!!! LOL

I had these probs and tried all sorts.I changed the subframe twice and tried 3 different trailing arms. As they were all 2nd hand and I wasnt gonna pay the silly prices BMW wanted, I went for the adjustment plates and now I have my car spot on. The plates are around £70. I get con-ned into buying bolts from BMW which was nearly £50 though I'm sure you can use other bolts.

Hope it helps
    Titan Silver 1999 M Coupe

Comment

The twin exhaust system makes the axle carrier (subframe) unique on the ///M even if the rest of the dimensions are the same as other models.

i would be REALLY surprised if something was wrong with your subframe. It's a big hunk of metal and way stronger than other parts that would bend first in an impact. The trailing arms are supposed to be sacrificial so I it would be a really odd impact to leave those intact and bend the subframe. The only thing I can think of is that it was bad from the factory and since you say you have already changed it twice that is out of the question. Camber setup does seem to differ between cars. Some people have a lot of negative camber when stock and especially lowered, yet I am lowered and my camber is bang on factory specs. You can play around with different thicknesses of spring pad and they do wear (cut through) as well.

What exactly are the symptoms you are seeing? Do you have a stock setup, any lowering or other aftermarket parts (bushes)? When you replaced the subframe did you make sure the stoppers (washers) were in place above the subframe bushes?
      Last edited by siwilson; 22-11-2014, 07:29 AM.

Comment

setup

Hey guys , ok first i am no mechanic so please excuse and ignorance on my behalf , the car is standard but is out 12mm across the back axel 8 one side 3 on ther other , so dropped the axel and had the camber toe plates welded on , and polybushed ! This corrected it by 7 mm leaving me 5 mm out . So we went down the route of why is it out rather than re-welding the plates with a extra 5 mm on them .Had the car jigged to check the body was straight , and yes its spot on so we are still out by 5mm and my mechanic who is really on the ball thinks its probably the axel or suspension , but we thought that the e30 beam was the same and they are cheap enough to get and fit as a precaution !But my re-search says that they are different , part numbers are anyway !

Comment

As previously stated the M axle has to have a different bmw part number because of the twin exhaust back boxes. There's a mount in each side of the axle beam that supports the exhaust. On non M models with one back on there's only one bracket on the left hand side.

I don't think anyone knows if this is the only difference but doubt that bmw would redesign this part for the M, the rear arms are M only due to the wider wheels, larger brakes & drive shafts.

I'd buy a standard Z3 axle, cut off your old bracket & weld it onto the Z3 axle. If your results are the same & your happy the car is straight the only thing it can be is the rear arms.
          They are very rare to find used, for a Z M to be written off chances are the back suspension has hit something. As you will already know there's not much change out of a grand a side from Bmw.

Out of interest where are you measuring from & too in mm?
          Has it been on a wheel alignment machine, how far out is it from spec, in minutes/ degrees.

Comment

great

Thats brilliant advice thank you so much i have seen a couple of rear beams but non m ones , i may have the mm thing wrong , the car was four wheel aligned which gave me the figure of 12 but the read out is at the garage with the car right now , as i understand it the drivers side rear wheel is splayed outwards front edge nearest the door , i may have got this all wrong of course !

Comment

trailing arm

So i have a e30 beam to adapt , can a trailing arm off a non m be adapted in any way to m specs does anyone know , sadly the one on ebay is the wrong side !!!

Comment

Originally posted by sibeck View Post
                So i have a e30 beam to adapt , can a trailing arm off a non m be adapted in any way to m specs does anyone know , sadly the one on ebay is the wrong side !!!
                Some details here and on link in thread

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=trailing+arm

Comment

If anyone needs I do have a pair of Z3M Rear Axles as spares;)
                  I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                  sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

pm

Hi cemalakcal i have sent you a pm !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X