X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chippy
    Originally posted by brady
    Originally posted by BEN
    for the cost it really is worth doing, like chippy has done you can have the complete front brakes sorted for less than a grand!
    point me in the direction of how this can be done!
    Brady

All will be revealed next week when, after fitting, i'll post an article on upgrading to Porsche 996/997 calipers and e46 M3CSL discs for about £6-700. ;)
    Great :!:

We all want to see that. At that price, I don't need to find too much of an excuse to upgrade the brakes.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Well I am in for a group buy :-)
      looking

Comment

I think that it will make an awesome upgrade at that price. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by chippy
          Originally posted by BEN
          for the cost it really is worth doing, like chippy has done you can have the complete front brakes sorted for less than a grand!
          point me in the direction of how this can be done!
          Brady

All will be revealed next week when, after fitting, i'll post an article on upgrading to Porsche 996/997 calipers and e46 M3CSL discs for about £6-700. ;)
          i know where thee is a set of these porsche calipers for sale, they are GT3 rear caliipers
          Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
          New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

i found these!
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0819&rd=1&rd=1

Comment

I think it would have to be done with front calipers from a Porsche 996/997 to make it worth while.

Comment

a mechanic mate of mine has 2 sets of 4 pot gt3 calipers, also a buddy of mine used to have a gt2 which is in many pieces now, would 6 pot calipers be too much?
                BBS LMs, KWv3, H&R ARBs, Wiechers half cage, Wiechers front strut brace, Gruppe M

Comment

a mechanic mate of mine has 2 sets of 4 pot gt3 calipers, also a buddy of mine used to have a gt2 which is in many pieces now, would 6 pot calipers be too much?
                  not for someone who does trackdays like you brady' they will be awesome
                  New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                    not for someone who does trackdays like you brady' they will be awesome
                    must look into that then, can someone explain to me what exactly is required to make these fit my car?
                    BBS LMs, KWv3, H&R ARBs, Wiechers half cage, Wiechers front strut brace, Gruppe M

Comment

you will need some CSL discs, 6 pot calipers and you will need to get someone to fabricate some caliper carriers

Comment

Originally posted by BEN
                        you will need some CSL discs, 6 pot calipers and you will need to get someone to fabricate some caliper carriers
                        IIRC, from the comments from those who've had 6 pot calipers before (Chippy and Nemesis), I think the opinion is that 4 pot will be better for most cars than 6 pot. As always, I stand to be corrected.
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

for me, im going for the biggest toaster sized brakes i can fit under the wheels!

Comment

I tried the Porker as well as Mitzy Evo Brembos with an M3/breadvan front end, including trying CSL discs.

The Porker calipers gave too much pedal travel, Mitzy Evo calipers were better - but still req'd too much more fluid than the stock calipers.

You'll fcuk your F/R bias up. :-(

A 4 wheel Mitzy Evo set-up could work well if you can live with increased pedal travel, the 2-pot Brembo rears need very little work to fit. 8-)

Calculating the piston size isn't an exact science. :-( It isn't safe to ignore one side of a multi-pot system's pistons, as seal flex is significant.

I finished up having to use a smaller piston diameter AP system, which still isn't perfect, having spent 2 years trying/failing to find a 'parts bin' solution. :-x
                            Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Compact
                              I tried the Porker as well as Mitzy Evo Brembos with an M3/breadvan front end, including trying CSL discs.

The Porker calipers gave too much pedal travel, Mitzy Evo calipers were better - but still req'd too much more fluid than the stock calipers.

You'll fcuk your F/R bias up. :-(

A 4 wheel Mitzy Evo set-up could work well if you can live with increased pedal travel, the 2-pot Brembo rears need very little work to fit. 8-)

Calculating the piston size isn't an exact science. :-( It isn't safe to ignore one side of a multi-pot system's pistons, as seal flex is significant.

I finished up having to use a smaller piston diameter AP system, which still isn't perfect, having spent 2 years trying/failing to find a 'parts bin' solution. :-x
                              M3Compact,

Shame it has not worked out for you.

My calipers are from a Lambo and are only 4 pots but with a massive pad being big calipers.

the pedal travel on this setup is the same or minutely less than my oem setup, I guess it depends a lot on the quality/measurement of the brakets??

I will comment more after my next track outing later this month.

Lee

EDIT I can put you in touch with the guy who measured/completed my setup if you want? apparently Brembo UK often recommend him.
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                                I guess it depends a lot on the quality/measurement of the brakets??
                                It's governed by caliper piston sizes Lee.

Larger overall caliper piston size = more fluid req'd. Greater pad area or increased peripheral pad area/larger diameter discs = greater braking torque.

It's all a balancing act, with very complicated physics/sums involved. :-?

Have the Lambo calipers got equal sized pistons? Sometimes the trailing BMW fitment means the caliper leading the braking with the larger piston. :-(

The smaller pistons should lead the braking, the only solution is to bleed the caliper before fitment and use it upside down. (Won't bleed properly with the nipple at the bottom.)
                                Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Working...
                                X