a 1 peice design would be best
    Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
    New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
      Originally posted by M3 Compact

I agree with the theory Exdos, it's just that the offerings aren't strong enough and don't have substantial enough mounts to work effectively.

The turrets are strong - any forces that cause them to flex aren't going to be deterred by chocolate strut braces with toffee mountings.

As previously, I'm not saying they're useless - just over rated. They're more of a bling thing imo.
      Can you not get a more robust brace made to your own specification that will seriously do the job
      :?: A triangulated lattice design could be made to keep the weight down.
      It needs triangulating to the bulkhead to be truly effective, I'm not too concerned about the handling aspect, more concerned about preserving the turrets.

Originally posted by Rags
      http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11587

Same debate over at Zroadster.Net :!:
      Interesting.

Originally posted by [u
      C W[/u]]Placebo
      Agreed.

Originally posted by Raspberry
      I used to be in the Mazda MX5 club and most of the members had fitted a strut brace.
      Tha Mazda handled better than the Zed and was even BETTER with a strut brace fitted.
      Hmm. My bro races MX5s reasonably successfully (3rd in UK Championship 2 years ago) - no strut brace. ;)

As with all things car related there are arguments both ways, some consider that pulling negative camber on to the inside wheel of a McPherson strut type car could be more detrimental than allowing the turrets to move independently.
      Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
        a 1 peice design would be best
        Probably but I think that would require the struts to be dropped a bit to place the brace on as the turrets are angled.

I think as mentioned above the best braces are those triangulated to the bulkhead (which factory fitted braces tend to be like the Z4 and I bet a Lambo would be that some on the roadster forum mentioned), or one that is incorporated in to a roll cage would be the ultimate bracing but would require big holes through the bulkhead!!

I also think that the body flex isn't much compard to the rubber bushes/top mounts; these will deflect a lot more (and before) the body would IMO.

Comment

I've folded an OMP strut brace like a banana, without permanent distortion of the seam welded/strengthened/gusseted turrets.
          This troubles me, something has to be wrong with the car now, because turrets are closer to each other and the strut brace is folded, frame twisted or something?
          S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
          Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Originally posted by MrMicko

I've folded an OMP strut brace like a banana, without permanent distortion of the seam welded/strengthened/gusseted turrets.
            This troubles me, something has to be wrong with the car now, because turrets are closer to each other and the strut brace is folded, frame twisted or something?
            It's fine. It went on a jig and was within tolerance in every direction.

The turrets flexed inwards which caused the the bar to bend, the turrets went back and it ripped the plates from their mountings. (Pulled the bolts through the bottom of the mounting plate.)

As previously, chocolate bar, toffee mounting plates. It's an OMP alloy bar, most of the others I've seen have been of similar quality.

Originally posted by [u
            C W[/u]]I think as mentioned above the best braces are those triangulated to the bulkhead (which factory fitted braces tend to be like the Z4 and I bet a Lambo would be that some on the roadster forum mentioned), or one that is incorporated in to a roll cage would be the ultimate bracing but would require big holes through the bulkhead!!
            Like this. :-P ....

Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Simon,

Those last few photos show more of a "horses for courses" sort of bracing I'd expect for a rally car 8-) :evil:

I'm assuming that the earlier pictures of the bent strut brace were not fitted to the Laguna seca Blue M3 Compact with the roll cage bracing. Is this correct?
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                Simon,

Those last few photos show more of a "horses for courses" sort of bracing I'd expect for a rally car 8-) :evil:

I'm assuming that the earlier pictures of the bent strut brace were not fitted to the Laguna seca Blue M3 Compact with the roll cage bracing. Is this correct?
                Yes. The red one is now for tarmac only, it was built with the cage bracing the bulkhead internally, with seam welding/gusset etc for the turrets. The blue one is to go in the woods with an S14 or similar 4-pot.

The strut brace proved very useful, we didn't really expect much of it, but it served to demonstrate the turret flex, that was more than we'd anticipated. :shock:
                Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

Before I do the research, does anybody know the difference in weight between the Weichers and the Strong Strutt brace?
                  Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan
                    Before I do the research, does anybody know the difference in weight between the Weichers and the Strong Strutt brace?

about 200kg 8-)
                    New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

My Strongstrut CL weighs only a few pounds. Send an email to Strongstrut for the definitive answer. Unless you are racing, I think the weight penalty (as converted to "drag") is negligible to the additional handling around the corners that it gives you.

I see that Lee is having to shed all the weight that he's putting on from his cooking by ditching all the bits and bobs from his car. :shock: :shock: ;) ;)
                      /// Exdos ///
                      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

John has the light version I think.

there are 2 types, a steel and an alu
                        New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

The Weichers one is unbelievably light - I used had the steel strong strut, as Lee says its VERY heavy. TBH not sure that the Weichers one is actually that strong, it does look nice though polished alloy.

Comment

P.S. I also told Rod Barrett of Hawthorns that he'd do well to shed some weight instead of blaming the car for weighing too much. ;)
                            /// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
                              The Weichers one is unbelievably light - I used had the steel strong strut, as Lee says its VERY heavy. TBH not sure that the Weichers one is actually that strong, it does look nice though polished alloy.
                              Chris

I did not notice any difference in the feel between the 2 braces.

mine is the same as yours with a thick carbon overlay.

Lee
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                                Originally posted by c_w
                                Chris

I did not notice any difference in the feel between the 2 braces.

mine is the same as yours with a thick carbon overlay.

Lee
                                Me neither, but I didn't notice the difference without it :-P

Comment

Working...
                                X