Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately I think that now some of the cars have crossed the 10 year old barrier, and with the added pressure of the 'credit crunch', it'll be unlikely that they will continue to cover it. It is a real shame that such a latent defect can go un-addressed, but it appears BMW like to do it this way to make it appear that they make 'reliable' and 'solid' cars. When in reality they just repair and cover up the faults under warranty and goodwill when the cars are relatively new.

I would try and go higher up in the BMW chain to see if they change their stance, your car is clearly on the cusp with a relatively low mileage and a good service history so I'm sure it is worth a punt.

Good luck,

Paul

Comment

• I hope you manage to get this sorted by BMW under goodwill, I would push them hard on the basis of the welds being inadequate and not fit for purpose at time of build regardless of the current age.

There is a suggestion previously in this tread that the welds used were not legal which could be looking into.

If BMW were repairing cars at 8.5 to 9 years old with over 100K it would seem resonable to hope for goodwill on 10.4 at 73K. If age and corrosion was a contributing factor in these failures it would see one thing but as it seems clearly to be a design/ manufacturing issue I think regardless of age you have a good case.

Dick Lovett in Bristol do not get top marks for being co-operative with this sort of thing....could be worth contacting the dealer that you purchased it from in 2004.

I know your car well and often walk past it on the way into work. I have recently bought a black S plate as well making yours slightly less unique in Bristol (sorry). I am keen to know how you get on as the subframe issue is one of my concerns along with the vanos!

Best of luck!
      S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

• Mine is 4/1999 and was reparied in October 08.
        My advice would be to try another dealer and see what they say. Find a dealer that has experience with the issue and will deal with it as a formaility.

Good luck!
        Imola S50 1999

Comment

• Thanks guys, I'm speaking to the 'regional customer services manager' on Monday so will report back then...

Comment

• I had my m coupe 1999 104,000 miles boot floor replaced in end of march under goodwill . Had to go to two different dealers and push the warranty guy very hard he first said to old and too many miles . forced him to put a claim in and bmw came back and they would mostly cover the cost under goodwill . They paid for the labour and boot floor and i had to pay for sealant and paint . Total cost for me was £250 and only took a month to do . I got paper work from the bodyshop but not bmw . hope this might help ?

Comment

• Hi folks

Just got around to checking the boot out on mine before it goes into local dealer for some warranty work on bits and pieces.

I've got two layers of material to deal with once I get the innermost board off, I assume the thick layer of foam (which is starting to crumble and fall apart) is sound dampening of some sort which lifts away easily enough. There's another thin sheet layer fixed to the boot floor though which I assume will be hiding any signs of weld spot problems. Is it supposed to be there and what's it for?

I've got running lengthwise what are almost like thick brushstroke of sealant or finish down each side - is this the factory finish or does it imply some repair work has been done already?

Cheers
              ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
              now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

• Originally posted by 'Yadi View Post
                Hi folks

Just got around to checking the boot out on mine before it goes into local dealer for some warranty work on bits and pieces.

I've got two layers of material to deal with once I get the innermost board off, I assume the thick layer of foam (which is starting to crumble and fall apart) is sound dampening of some sort which lifts away easily enough. There's another thin sheet layer fixed to the boot floor though which I assume will be hiding any signs of weld spot problems. Is it supposed to be there and what's it for?

I've got running lengthwise what are almost like thick brushstroke of sealant or finish down each side - is this the factory finish or does it imply some repair work has been done already?

Cheers

Looks like the standard OE boot to me. On a good note, it looks like it isn't broken from what I can see.

Paul

Comment

• Yep looks normal to me. The stuff stuck to the floor is sound deadening, it probably stops resonance better than the thicker sound insulation on top. Most cars have this all over the floor of the car.

Comment

• Thanks fellas
                    That's reassuring (and my learning process continues)
                    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
                    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

• Guys, my first post on here but I hope you don't mind a Z3m Roadster joining the party

I have just been through the cracked diff mount repair free of charge with BMW and full details can be found here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...=19264&start=0

I posted this up originally to understand BMW's stance now that these cars are routinely getting over 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Since having mine repaired earlier in the year I have been contacted by numerous owners who continue to have mixed response from BMW UK (ranging from your cars too old, to no problem sir when would you like us to pick the car up), however the majority have had a +ve response albeit patience and the right dealer seem required (some people have waited over 6 weeks to get the go ahead from BMW UK).

I have even been contacted by non ///M owners who now have this problem and one has just this week been given the OK for a free repair from BMW UK.

Anyway thought it would be useful on hear as well.

I'm like a kid in a candy shop now I have found a new forum (and a few familiar tags ), a few late nights reading methinks
                      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

• yep mee too

well it had to happen

took the boot cover up and the tool tray out 2 weeks ago and there it was a 2" split along the seam. It wasnt twisted or ripped like some of the others on here (guess it would only have been a matter of time) looks like a couple of spot welds had failed.

considered just getting it seam welded myself but thought as i work away and wasnt going to use the car i`d run it into the local main stealers. I was prepared for a fight and pm`d a few who have had simillar issues on here.... some were more helpfull than others

got a phone call 1st week saying the area manager was coming to look at it then a call today saying it would be done FOC as a good will gesture by BMW. I asked if they were going to seam weld it but no they are replacing the whole floor. ill post more details when i here more

only thing is whats stopping it happening again
                        but as far as im concerned if they fix it once theyll have to fix it again(in another 9 yrs
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

• Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                          the area manager was coming to look at it then a call today saying it would be done FOC as a good will gesture by BMW.
                          That's amazing. You got photos of him playing away from home or something?!

Well done...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
                            That's amazing. You got photos of him playing away from home or something?!

Well done...
                            . Cheers I used to take my e46 M3 there for warranty work they've allways been good got the m3 serviced there to keep it in warranty too

Comment

• boot floor

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                              well it had to happen

took the boot cover up and the tool tray out 2 weeks ago and there it was a 2" split along the seam. It wasnt twisted or ripped like some of the others on here (guess it would only have been a matter of time) looks like a couple of spot welds had failed.

considered just getting it seam welded myself but thought as i work away and wasnt going to use the car i`d run it into the local main stealers. I was prepared for a fight and pm`d a few who have had simillar issues on here.... some were more helpfull than others

got a phone call 1st week saying the area manager was coming to look at it then a call today saying it would be done FOC as a good will gesture by BMW. I asked if they were going to seam weld it but no they are replacing the whole floor. ill post more details when i here more

only thing is whats stopping it happening again
                              but as far as im concerned if they fix it once theyll have to fix it again(in another 9 yrs
                              Good news mate well done,i was wondering how u got on,if BMW fix one car they have to fix em all really,scared to look at mine since i got it back,has anybody had there boot floor replaced and it gone again?
                              Scary stuff!! O check the sealer is plentyfull around all the fixing points as mine had a leak

Comment

• I've not got it back yet but I'll check the sealer thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                                X