Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service intervals

Hello all

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't reveal the answer.

My S54 was last serviced just over two years ago, where it had an Inspection 1 service. I've done about 3000 miles since then. I currently have all the green lights illuminated on the dash, which would suggest I don't need to get it serviced any time soon.

But wouldn't the oil be due for replacement by now? I don't want to second guess BMW, and I certainly don't want to spend money if I don't have to, but I am not used to going for longer than 2 years without a service. Is there an official line?

Cheers

Hi Bongo, welcome to the forum.

I get an oil service done every 12 months on my S50, whether it's due one or not. Brake fluid I think is every 2 years as well if my memory serves me correctly. Not sure if S54 would be any different.
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I have always had my oil changed at least every 12 months.
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Welcome to the forum , I think BMW recommend a service every 2 years regardless of the service indicators

Comment

Thanks all. Sounds like i am changing the oil!

Comment

I think 2 years is a good oil change interval for a seldom used car - a chap on M5board has done research into the degradation of oil with time when mileages are low and the results suggest you could be quite comfortable leaving it - or even extend the interval a bit more....

You can find evidence that for low mileage cars coolant and brake fluid changes matter at least as much as those fluids can degrade with time. The water content of brake fluid can rise and cheap coolant can bizzarely turn your block into a battery - you can check the voltage with a multimeter and google safe readings.

I would also use BMW blue coolant as a matter of course.

But second guess BMW all you like on oil - there's lots of stories online that older engines don't like the Castrol 10w60 they recommended until recently. (But most people think the s54 is new enough to be fine with it).

Comment

I would always go with an annual oil change regardless. I know the oils we use are considered longlife but I still do an annual oil change. At a cost of £70 for oil and filter it's not too bad.

Comment

I run Evans coolant in all my other, older classics, and used to have it in my E46 330i for several years. Anybody used this in a MC?

Comment

An S54 can still be classed as Full Service History with 2 years gaps between oil drops. Any longer and you lose the ability to claim FSH (as BMW recommend every 24 months or by mileage whichever comes first).

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                    I think 2 years is a good oil change interval for a seldom used car - a chap on M5board has done research into the degradation of oil with time when mileages are low and the results suggest you could be quite comfortable leaving it - or even extend the interval a bit more....

You can find evidence that for low mileage cars coolant and brake fluid changes matter at least as much as those fluids can degrade with time. The water content of brake fluid can rise and cheap coolant can bizzarely turn your block into a battery - you can check the voltage with a multimeter and google safe readings.

I would also use BMW blue coolant as a matter of course.

But second guess BMW all you like on oil - there's lots of stories online that older engines don't like the Castrol 10w60 they recommended until recently. (But most people think the s54 is new enough to be fine with it).

good advise

Comment

It can be a little tricky to know what to do about servicing when you're only doing lower mileage can't it?

I'm ashamed to say that for one reason and another I only covered about 1000 miles in my S50 last year. It had an oil service in late 2016, but I didn't bother with another service before I took it off the road for a while in late 2107 (to move the MOT date from mid February to a time when there's less grit on the roads) with the car still having 3 service lights showing.

Going by the book, my car's next service would actually be an Inspection II, but with such low mileage covered, my local indie has just recommended an oil service again, along with brake fluid change. The car's running great, so I'm happy with that, but I do wonder if the 'not by the book servicing' would be an issue for future buyers on a car of this age/mileage
                      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I know what you mean - it’s a tricky point. My S54 does very low miles - 250 so far this year - and only 62k total. I do pretty much everything myself on all my ‘proper’ cars as I don’t trust main dealers with this car, and why pay someone to do what I can do myself?
                        But the dreaded service book is a worry. I keep my own log book with fine detail of every job done, part numbers and details of the work and what materials and brands I’ve used. At the end of the day I have to decide whether I have my cars for me or the next owner, or there’s no point, really.

Comment

Working...
                        X