Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen rubber question

Folks

Had a new screen fitted a while ago and it has been in storage.
    Took it out today and noticed the following with the windscreen seal. Have they used the wrong seal?

Looks like it, the coupe seal is contoured to meet up with the two weather strips on the roof,

Comment

Thanks Dave; I knew you would know!

Do you have a photo of your car at a similar angle so I can show this to the screen guy?

Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
        Thanks Dave; I knew you would know!

Do you have a photo of your car at a similar angle so I can show this to the screen guy?

Thanks !

I will take one and post it up

Comment

Comment

looks like the coupe seal has a groove or channel running all the way from the roof gutter to the scuttle panel,

Comment

I’ll be looking at this seal tomorrow as my car is going in for replacement windscreen. I’ll take pictures this afternoon of the original seal for comparison. If I get chance I’ll check part no to ensure correct one is fitted.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Looked at the estimate and the Real OEM parts list, they have ordered the correct seal.

P/N B51.71.8.399.109 - Kit- £ 179.39 + VAT!!!!

Just had text message from Coopers Teesside to remind its booked in tomorrow.
                Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

what was the cost for the windscreen?

Comment

The incorrect screen that Coopers ordered (without green band) was £265.45 + VAT. No sure if the green shaded one I’m getting fitted will be the same price.
                    Just been out in car to refuel it and the plot thickens - my windscreen seal has no contours to align with the roof rails. So has my screen been replaced at some point in the past? I have loads of receipts and the history of what the previous owner had done on the car, I’ll have a look to see if it can give me a clue.
                    It does sit flat though, not curled up like yours Rags.
                    Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Must be a few with the incorrect seal, got to watch them like a hawk when they do this job. Even after telling the glass company on booking it in to order the correct seal (which they confirmed), the driver still turned up with a roadster seal.

Depending how it's been fitted (ie no bonding snagging on the seal, I think it's possible to fit the seal without disturbing the glass).

Comment

Window seals

I to told them about the seal and they arrived with the wrong one,they had to use the originll one which i was not happy about.it looks ok but still annoying.a1 windscreens i recall but sounds like there all the same.

Comment

Thanks for the updates guys.
                          Pete, hope it goes well !

The worrying thing is you can throw all this research at these guys and I will bet you a pint that when I order a new seal it will be the incorrect one.

Anyway let’s see!

Comment

looks like the roadster seal is about £60 compared to £200+ for the coupe one

Comment

Did eventually get this sorted lol

Comment

Working...
                              X