Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keys

Picture of full key set that came with my 1998 M Coupe,

After buying a new key from my dealers it turns out that they need to be programmed to the car this is done by,

1, Insert new key into ignition and turn until dash warning lights come on (whilst sat in car with windows and doors closed)
    2. Remove key from ignition and press unlock button
    3. Whilst still depressing unlock button press lock button three times
    4. Release unlock button and interior light will illuminate and doors will lock/unlock to confirm key is programmed to car.
    5. If you have more than one remote key you will need to carry out stages 3 & 4 for each key within 10 seconds of each other
    Last edited by Dave P; 04-07-2023, 03:41 PM.

Last edited by Dave P; 04-07-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

My car has come with just 1 key. Do the keys have a chip inside that needs programming to an immobiliser? Or is it just a case of programming for the remote alarm/central locking?

Comment

Yes they have a chip in each key. I changed the case on one of my well worn keys a few years back and transferred everything over if I recall. Think if you want another key its a dealer job unless anyone else has alternative suggestions. Think it will be expensive item from dealers.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I think the original 3 button key is NLA

Comment

I saw some advertised on ebay from australia!

Comment

How many keys came with the car from new? Did they have the valet key non remote version?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                How many keys came with the car from new? Did they have the valet key non remote version?
                Two remote keys a grey key without remote and a black valet key came with my 1998 S50

Comment

I had 2 remote and one grey valet with mine - as per the pic above.
                  '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Added new picture to first post

Comment

Ok, its the grey key that I want. Anyone know if they can be bought from the dealer? Part number?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                        Ok, its the grey key that I want. Anyone know if they can be bought from the dealer? Part number?
                        #17?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_1631

Comment

Comment

I think it may be 16, 17 being the plastic valet key

Comment

Working...
                            X