Heated seats!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated seats!!!

This getting to be a bit of a saga, I had new heating elements fitted after being told that the originals had failed, only to find that I've still got a problem.
    i.e. Passenger side still not working at all and the driver's side only seems to be on low heat.
    Auto electrician(a/e) has looked at it and with the limited time he had he couldn't find the root of the problem so far. I've managed to find the Z3M Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and sent some pages to the a/e to see what he can make of them. It was a pity I didn't have the information to hand when he was working on the car.
    One component that he thought was faulty was a small control unit mounted under the passenger seat P/N 65 77 8 367 242. Turns out that this is a seat occupancy control unit and has been supeceded by P/N 6877 6 940 191. Now when the a/e looked under drivers seat, this component wasn't in place but the connectors where there. Should there be one in place under both seats? Doubt if this part has anything to d with my problem though.
    The BMW Real OEM parts catalogue doesn't show this item as far as I can see. I only found the info on it by actually cranking in the P/N.

Be interested to know if anyone else has had trouble with heated seats and what the solution was.

Oh yes, I did get the a/e to check the continuity of the original seat heating elements and you guessed, they are fine!! So it looks like I have a full set of heating elements available!!
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

The seat occupancy control unit is just to tell the airbag system if someone is sat in the passenger seat in the event if a accident, if not the airbag is saved.
    Hopefully the drivers seat is always occupied!!
    If you have wiring on the drivers seat it will be for LHD cars.

It sounds like you are in pretty deep already.

If your seat elements are ok sounds like you have no power, strange how your drivers works on low though.
    Really you need to confirm there's no power to the seats, then check the switches but the other easy ish thing to do would be to swop the switches over from side to side. If your passenger seat then heats up low you know you need at least one switch.

Comment

Hopefully it's just a fuse issue.

Do you have a fuse map of the vehicle?

Anyone online?

Comment

For what it's worth, here's the part in the M Coupe on realoem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&fg=65&hl=18

Seems quite likely that that sensor would be used to disable the heat on the passenger side if it's unoccupied. Wouldn't explain why you only get low heat on the driver side, though.

Comment

Ok drivers side works,but on low..maybe the switch...maybe just try swapping the switches over.

Comment

I have an issue with mine too, whereby neither side actually works. The switches illuminate correctly when activating but nothing else happens.

Fuses appear fine.

Need to chuck a multimeter on the seat connections to see if any current is there.

Perhaps a job for the Christmas break.
            Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
            In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Just for clarity, the px seat should work whether or not its occupied, so you can keep the takeaway warm on the trip home.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Latest update - the seats are now working fine.

Used the services of an auto electrician called Duncan Fairlie who installed my DAB radio in 2013. Look at his website below, would recommend him for lads needing work done in the North East.

www.mobileinstallationservices.co.uk

Without a wiring diagram Duncan didn't have much success on his first visit (for which he didn't charge as he hadn't solved the problem), he suspected the item I mentioned in first post to be faulty but didn't know what its function was for. At that point we knew only there was power to the switches, but more information needed to investigate further.

I managed to get a copy of wiring diagram with the wire colour code which I e-mailed to him prior to his second visit. Took him just a short while to identify the cause as being some faulty wiring under the seat. Duncan informed me that the wiring faults had been there for sometime judging by the condition of the joints, they were not a recent development. The recent fitting of the new heating elements had not been the cause of the problem.

The old elements were tested for continuity, all four were found to be fine.

So lesson learnt - get a good auto election to check things first before replacing items like heating elements.

So I have some heating elements for sale if anyone is interested!!
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Pete. Does anyone know how the heated seats work in relation to the different heat setting?

Comment

Working...
                  X