Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with keyfob buttons wearing off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with keyfob buttons wearing off?

Buttons wearing off and general wear on the key is a problem (most M Coupes come with the 3-button key and fob combined as pictured). A replacement key from BMW is around £100. The blade (or key part) can't be removed or changed so you couldn't find a good condition fob and change the blade.

I found a seller on ebay selling complete replacement (empty) keyfobs with uncut blades: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220348796436. You simply swap over the innerds of your old key and get the blade cut at a key cutters. They're obviously not genuine but they do look good. Total cost was £19.50 (£5 for key cutting) for an effectively brand new looking key.

Great tip, Chris.

In an effort to not sound like a complete dick - I'm really anal about keys, and like them to be in good condition.
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
      Great tip, Chris.

In an effort to not sound like a complete dick - I'm really anal about keys, and like them to be in good condition.
      No I agree, having a manky worn out key is at odds if your cars in nice condition!

Comment

Your efforts were wasted I'm afraid!

Comment

has anyone found out where to get an aftermarket good replacement as both my keys are worn
          kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
            Your efforts were wasted I'm afraid!
            [Makes mental note never to buy a car off Dr. N coz the keys'll will be fecked]Thanks for your kind words.[Makes mental note never to buy a car off Dr. N coz the keys'll be fecked]
            Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
            In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by kevinx320 View Post
              has anyone found out where to get an aftermarket good replacement as both my keys are worn
              kevin

Comment

[Makes mental note never to buy a car off Dr. N coz the keys'll will be fecked]Thanks for your kind words.[Makes mental note never to buy a car off Dr. N coz the keys'll be fecked]
                Ha - set myself up for that one I feel You got me good....

What's the betting if I ever come to sell the keys will be a bloody deal breaker!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
                  Ha - set myself up for that one I feel You got me good....

What's the betting if I ever come to sell the keys will be a bloody deal breaker!! LOL
                  It's all in the details

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    Indeed............................

Comment

can the internals of our original keys fit in the e46 style key????

any1 done this?

Comment

Originally posted by benufok View Post
                        can the internals of our original keys fit in the e46 style key????

any1 done this?
                        I think it'd be doubtful as they're moulded to a perfect fit to the shape of the current key (I think the E46 is more diamond-shaped?).

Comment

Working...
                        X