After-market air intake systems test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After-market air intake systems test

A few weeks ago i was at West tunning to have some mapping done and asked Ray if we could test several different airbox set ups on the dyno before we did the mapping.

In an attempt to have a 'level playing field' all runs we done with the same starting oil temps and ambient air temps.

A big thank you to Imran for posting down his prototype simota for testing 8-)

Three set ups were tested;

Pipercross Viper (hybrid system similar to Lee's old one) and Active Autowerks heatshield

no pic but same as this;

K&N cone filter and AA heatshield;

Simota without AA heatshield;
    no pic again but on Imrans car;

The Viper was tested first and whilst it gave good initial pick up it was not able to flow enough air at high rpm's. This was partly due to the connecting tubing constricting by up to an inch once revs exceeded 4000ish rpm :shock:

Next up was the K&N set up. This was bought from Dave.F who has had good results using this system in conjunction with his own design heatshield on e36 m3's. This certainly flow better at the top end of the rev range but suffered with slightly more heat ingress than the others.

Lastly up was the Simota. This had to be run without the AA heatshield as it wouldn't fit with it. The Simota produced very good gains(aprrox.6-9hp) throughout the whole rev range and was a clear improvement on the other two. Even without the AA heatshield the Simota didn't suffer from much heat ingress.

DYNO PLOT (Ignore the top run as that was after mapping with the Simota :twisted: )
    Simota-purple
    K&N-green
    Viper-red

Whilst the results of this test are quite revealing they should not be treated as conclusive.
    Black S50

Chippy,

That's some improvement. Can you PM me the total costs, I'm interested in getting this done once the warrenty expires in March.
    From Z3 MC to Z4 MC... glad to be back

Comment

Chippy,

Most excellent!!
      What other differences have you noticed now that you are running the mapped Simota set up?
      Throttle response? fuel consumption? induction noise etc.
      Would be interested to hear your thoughts/experiences.
      The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
      RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Trundler
        Throttle response is certainly better than it was before
        Haven't done a proper economy check yet as the car has mostly been on track since the work so i don't think i want to know :shock:
        The induction noise of the Simota is a pleasing improvement over standard without being in anyway obtrusive.
        Overall i'm very pleased with the way the car drives now.
        Black S50

Comment

Dale

The Simota is available soon from Imran
          Black S50

Comment

How much was the remap?

Comment

Tony,

Very interesting and useful.

From the graph the peak HPs with the 3 different aftermarket air intakes varied from around 289bhp to 296bhp. But I see that you increased the peak HP from your remap to 326.7bhp :!: :P 8) What air intake were you using for the remap :?:

Did you use your high speed leaf-blower at all in front of the car when doing these runs?
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Hi John

The car was finally mapped with the Simota due to its good flow characteristics throughout the whole rev range.

I didn't use the 'blower' as this dyno was different to others iv'e used as instead of just having a big fan in front of the bumper and the bonnett up, this one has a dedicated wind tunnel room with Very large air flow fans sucking and blowing air through it with the bonnett closed ie, replicating normal air flow around the car.

Put it this way, if anyone wearing a wig entered, they wouldn't when they left
                Black S50

Comment

Was this an S50 or S54?
                  Black 02 reg S54 M Roadster

Comment

Chippy has the S50
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I am up for the Simota intake and the remap. Sounds like a great combo.

James

Comment

It's good to see tests like these. Although they are not conclusive they are very likely to be very correct given that the same car was used on the same dyno on the same day and near enough the same conditions.

On other forums the Dave F (which is the same as an AA) is reguarded to be MUCH better than any other intake system out there including the Simota.

Tests like these show the that this is quite far from the truth.

Sal
                        E34 M5 3.8
                        6 speed
                        345mm Discs & 4 Pot calipers
                        was 347.9 BHP....dunno now but it is faster.

Why didn't BMW use my engine in the ZM instead!

Comment

Finally managed to get some video clips of the Simota in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVPIzYyRT9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6dnRMF5XLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9_D-OxhFI

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
                            a slight CSL'ish noise to that.

thats with an oem exhaust too so a really nice noise from just an airbox.

see you on the 28th :wink:
                            Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                            New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Working...
                            X