Exhaust Hanger Changing Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Hanger Changing Guide

After noticing one of my exhausts was about 2cm lower than the other, this really got on my nerves. I poked about underneath, and could see that the rear rubber hangers were pretty old/cracked and this was probably the cause.

So off I went to Cotswold BMW and got these- £15 each, there are 2 per exhaust box.
    [IMG] IMG_2057 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Took the near side wheel off and this is what I saw- so gave it a little spray to loosen it up.
    [IMG] IMG_2058 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Took the middle bolt (13mm) out, this goes through a metal tube in the hanger and into a welded on bolt hole on a little arm coming off your rear silencer box. Pretty ruined... took the bolts off each side (also 13mm) and it drops down to remove.
    [IMG] IMG_2063 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Old vs New Rubber Hanger -- oh dear!
    [IMG] IMG_2065 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Popped the new hanger on, and did up the bolts each side (13mm)
    [IMG] IMG_2066 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Popped the middle bolt through after applying some copper grease around it, be careful when trying to get it to 'take' onto the silencer box arm as you don't want to miss thread it!!! and did it up..
    [IMG] IMG_2067 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

This is the other hanger for the silencer box,
    The right of the pic is the rear of the car.
    The bottom of the pic (silver bit) is the heat shield/battery box
    The top (rusty looking?) bit is the silencer box bracket arm
    ..The hanger is in this gap with just enough space to get your hand through.
    Repeat process above, its a bit tricky trying to slide out main holding bolt but you can just about wiggle it through..
    [IMG] IMG_2069 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Pop wheel back on and lower car, job jobbed :) (Car hadn't settled after lowering it off jack, looks a bit high there!! lol)
    [IMG] IMG_2072 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Gave her a quick wash and accessed that they are now pretty much the same level, going to do the driver side tomorrow which will hopefully sort it right out.
    [IMG] IMG_2071 by Paulmcoupe[/IMG]

Quite an easy job, just the middle hanger location is a pain in the rear to get to which makes it fiddly.

Hope this helps people :)
    ///Made for sideways action

They were ready for a change! there is also a pair of rubber hangers further forward which are worth changing.

Comment

Yeah there are round ones with a join accross in the middle, they looked ok and not saggy so left them as they were :)

Comment

Good write-up!

Interestingly though I don't have that square 'washer' in one of the early pictures. I just have round ones. I also bought all the nuts and bolts for that area recently as i'm dropping the subframe and can't stand using rusty old bolts. Parts diagram did not how that square 'washer' either. Curious.

Comment

No square washer on mine either - it looks like someone has added it due to the rubber failing.

Picture of front rubbers for reference,

Comment

I'm doing the drivers side hangers this morning, will have a look and see what washer they have. Both the others had those square ones?? Strange!! Lol

Comment

Working...
            X