Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Knowledgebase
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Default AC Schnitzer subframe "spacers"

On the ZRoadster forum someone made a detailed post about fitting the ACS suspension kit on their Z3M Roadster. The kit comes with 4 springs, 4 shocks and 2 aluminium donut-shaped spacers which look around 10mm or so thick.

The spacer is fitted ABOVE the subframe where it bolts to the body and required a bit of work to fit as the subframe needs to be dropped from the body so the spacers can be fitted on the subframe studs.

You can see the gap these spacers are "packing" out if you undo the lower 3 screws holding the rear arch liner on; peel it back and you can see how the subframe is bolted up to the car and the stud coming out of the body; at the top and bottom of the subframe bush there are 4 or 5 "buffers" intended to smooth out excessive movement.

The gap at the bottom between the bush and side plates is quite small, but the gap at the top between the bush and the body is quite large so it would require quite extreme subframe movement to hit the buffers (but as the buffers are there at the top it would indicate this is within the designed range of the bush). With the ACS spacers fitted this gap must be reduced to someting similar to that of the bottom.

Does anyone who has got the ACS suspension fitted know if these spacers/packers are fitted to their car?

As an experiment I've packed out the top of mine with some rubber with no noticeable increase in NVH. I've only done a quick test drive but it did seem to shift smoother and have less rear steer under acceleration as the subframe isn't twisting.
Old 18-11-2006, 08:35 PM

c-w,

I've presently got my MC up in the air. I'll take a look tomorrow at the tops of the subframe. I like your idea. I've got lots of bits of rubber lying around here. I'll make a couple of rubber spacers as per the diagram below, which should easily slide onto the subframe bolts.

I've seen a similar thread about the gap above the subframe bushes regarding Ireland Engineering poly bushes here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...e+bush+Ireland
Old 27-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

very old post but here's what you get with the ACS road suspension kit, I would imagine they are well worth the hassle of fitting them?
2 alloy spacers and 2 washers?

Old 27-12-2010, 07:06 PM

They came in my ACS kit, but I never fitted them. I passed them onto the new owner with the rest of the kit, but I am not sure if he ever fitted them.

I assumed they were just to stiffen up the stock bush, so as I already had the Ireleand bushes I never bothered. Do they server another function?
Old 27-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator

did you get fitting instructions with your kit?
Old 28-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave p View Post
did you get fitting instructions with your kit?
No, no instructions at all.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:05 PM

You would have to drop the rear subframe off the subframe pins. IMO, it's not worth the hassle unless you've got other work to do on the subframe. I've now got some similar spacers on my MC made from 10mm thick conveyor belting, but I did that when I was fitting other bits.

Last edited by exdos; 28-12-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Rossiters qouted 4 hours to fit the suspension kit so I will ring them in the new year and see if that includes fitting the spacers.
Old 31-12-2010, 01:04 AM

i fitted the ACS spacers to my car when changing the rear suspension -- added a couple of hours to the job (amateur spannerman)

well worth it imo -- they eliminate approx 5mm of vertical "float" in the rear subframe bushes.
Old 31-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Drawing pls

It seems the only reason not to fit them is that the benefit is not very 'quantifiable' and its a pain in the neck to do?
Could one of you kind gentlemen sketch a dimensioned drawing of these spacers, as it seems that they are a good idea to fit if you have poly bushes (not from the ACS kit) in place?
Happy new year one and all
Adam

Tags
ac schnitzer, acs spacer, subframe