Just checked my boot floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just checked my boot floor

I got the remaining insulation scraped off the seam areas of the boot floor today, and I think I can breath a sigh of relief having caught it in time... he says... hoping

There's a couple of small cracks around half-way along the left hand front to back seam and a spot weld slightly further forward, that appears to have broken (last photo). I'll get the car over to Emley Refinishers to have them strengthen these areas though, along with whatever other measures they recommend before painting it back up.

Looking at my photos, is there anywhere else that I should remove the sound insulation to check beneath it?

Last edited by Fat Tony; 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM.
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

glad you caught it in time.
    ever car should be strengthened at some point (best to do it before it causes any damage!) with time, its pretty much gonna happen to them all anyway

post updates!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

Fat...mine looked that for a while,then went wrong..take all the sound proofing stuff off and then you will see if any other welds have given up!

Comment

I'd agree that there will probably be more broken welds below the remaining sound proofing. Mine had gone just below the loom in your pictures.

Comment

Cheers gents, I'll continue removing the rest of the sound insulation then
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

At least you have caught it early Tony. I guess i really should check mine as well.
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I guess this means i need to check mine too?
              Is there a mileage from which this becomes apparent? Mine is now just turned 30,000

Comment

As far as i can gather..milage is not the issue altho will cause problems i think it is more relevent to how the car is driven,our cars have a lot of low down torque and the problem seems to firsty manifest itself in the stupid diff area which generally pulls the floor and crosmember from the actual boot floor! of course i maybe wrong on all this but after reading lots and looking at the underneath of my failed boot floor that's how i see it..if ive got this wrong my apologies...i should see my car Monday and have it back Tuesday for me its one thing of the list the next thing will be stronger bottom end bolts! as ive been there too! with a spun no 3 bearing and sourcing a replacement engine,,,still love the car tho !!!! Mel

Comment

I would hazzard a guess that as has been suggested that there will be more failed spot welds under this area of sound deadening that you haven't taken off yet;

They usually go under there first as that's where the loading point from the diff is then it spreads left to the chassis member.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    I would hazzard a guess that as has been suggested that there will be more failed spot welds under this area of sound deadening that you haven't taken off yet;

They usually go under there first as that's where the loading point from the diff is then it spreads left to the chassis member.
                    i saw a picture of a damaged boot floor yesterday, far worse than this!!! far far worse

Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                    X