Wheel Vibration Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Vibration Problem

I may as well start from the beginning to give you all the full picture.

My passenger side caliper started sticking a while back. I recently rebuilt both front calipers.

Since the caliper had been sticking, it cooked the passenger disc and warped it. Before I had bought the car, the previous owner fitted some aftermarked solid discs and OEM pads. There was a clear steering wobble/shake under braking, even after cleaning the disc of pad deposts.

A few days ago, I fitted new OEM floating discs, and EBC yellow pads. Ive been bedding the pads in since, with light braking. So far I have done 150 miles and the brakes feel great. However. As soon as I hit 70mph, I get quite a bad steering wheel shake - this is not under braking, and braking does not affect the wobble, only bringing it under 70 mph does. I have checked the wheels to make sure no wheel weights have come off, and they all appear in place.

Also to add, a few months back I swapped the front top mounts over to try out the increase in camber. This rapidly wore the inside of the tyres, and I didnt take much to the increase in tramlining. So, I swapped them back over whilst I fitted the new pads and discs.

The brake also feels like it is slightly "pulsing" when braking at very slow speeds (<5mph), like when I had the warped solid discs on. I'm 100% certain I have not warped the new discs, only light braking has been applied and this problem occured from the get go.

Anyone shed any light on this?

I'm having 4 new tyres fitted this weekend, and hope the problem is purely wheel balance related. However this would not answer the problem of the brake "pulsing".

Thanks, Chris

With four new tyres fitted along with freshly balanced wheels,you will probably find all's well!!

Comment

One can hope. Strange that they should be out of balance?

Comment

Interesting, I have something like this, a "wobble" over 69mph!

I think mine might be due to wishbone bushes as most other parts (discs, calipers, struts, top mounts, track rod ends) that could be causing it have been replaced with oem parts during the last 6/9 months. Wheels have been balanced (twice) and tracking checked (twice also).

Will get the issue specifically looked at next month when inspection is due.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

They're very sensitive to wheel balance IMO. I had a set of tyres on the car that I had balanced many times but it just would not run smooth and was awful if I ran (hubcentric) wheel spacers as they exaggerated the wobble. I've now got some "wrong" offset wheels ET13 on the front and despite this, the car is really smooth.

What are the rear discs like? as these can still give some feedback. If the steering wobble doesn't alter under braking then I wouldn't say the front brakes are a problem.

Comment

sorted the issue. The pulsing of the front brakes was the EBC yellow pads binding with the caliper carier - they were a tight fit due to the yellow paint on the back of the pads, and the freshly painted carriers.

The 70mph wobble has gone since new tyres and balancing. I recon it was most likely the tyres which were severely warn from the excessive camber I had when running the top mounts swapped around.

Comment

Working...
            X