Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    I would recommend Goodyear Asymmetric 2
    +1 on this, I run these all over my ZM, switched from old V-Shaped GSD3 F1s - excellent tire (both actually) but Assimetric 2s even more grip plus wet feedback/stability. Also F1s Assimetric 1 I runs on 325i are very good however tend to loos traction a bit more.

Contis Sportcontacts (5 I'd guess right now) would be my second choice - very good experience with older models on 525i

From the other brands I have had very good experience with Uniroyals, Vredestein's weird Sessantas (on X5 admittingly), Dunlops and Toyos (F1-R).

I'd steer away from Pirellis and Semperit (v. nasty on wet).

I got no experience with some brands popular in the UK, like Falkens or Hankook, but for all what is worth (I.e. money) I'd go for F1's.

I have had also very good experience with Michelin Pilot sports, but I see these no better than F1s, so why spend more... (In fact I like the F1s just a tad more)

Hope that helps
    Best Regards,

Pawel

Comment

I've just switched to Pilot Sport 2s. Stock front but have gone up to 255 on the back. I run PS's on my 330i as well, love them.

Comment

Its tyre time. I am fairly settled on the Goodyears/Michelins mentioned above based on owners' recommendations but my local tyre guy is raving about Yokohama Advans. Does anyone have any experience of these? Cheers.

Edit - I'm running standard sizes atm.

Comment

I wouldn't fit Yokohamas to my car as everyday tyres, they don't work too great in the wet.

If you get the F1s, makes sure they are all 94Y XL.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            I wouldn't fit Yokohamas to my car as everyday tyres, they don't work too great in the wet.

If you get the F1s, makes sure they are all 94Y XL.
            It's been several years since I used Yokohamas but couldn't agree more!

Why do you say that about the load rating, isn't that a bit high /stiff for the MC?
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

The Goodyear Asymmetric 2 could be described as having pretty soft sidewalls for this segment, certainly nothing like Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin equivalent tyres. Obviously this gives a good ride comfort, but by getting the 94Y XL, the sidewall still isn't as stiff as those tyres but it's a little stiffer than say a 91Y that can be had in 225/45/17.

I've just got a set of F1 AS 2 for my AUDI A3, 225/45/17 91Y and the sidewalls really are surprisingly soft, much softer than a 195/50/15 Toyo T1R I had ready to go on my dad's car. Goodyear F1s have always had a softer sidewall though, I think it's part of the wet-weather grip/handling they are also geared towards, yet still perform in the dry.

Comment

So far so good

If you read my post about poor handling I can only say that the Michelin ps3s have dramatically improved my car. Now running with toyos on the back and ps3s on the front. If I had made the front decision first I would have ps3s all round. I know they are not mid range, but the price was only about £10 dearer. Standard size for front were £106 fitted.

I also read the tyre review site and narrowed it down to either the michelins or the Goodyear asymetrics. With the Dunlop sport max as an outsider, as no one here had mentioned Dunlop I avoided

Comment

Originally posted by NottsLad View Post
                  Its tyre time. I am fairly settled on the Goodyears/Michelins mentioned above based on owners' recommendations but my local tyre guy is raving about Yokohama Advans. Does anyone have any experience of these? Cheers.

Edit - I'm running standard sizes atm.
                  Hi mate, I have Yoko Advan 08 r (just replaced A08 minus the r). Very good tyres. Super grippy once worn in and at the right psi. Not so flash in the cold and wet.

Comment

Originally posted by langlands View Post
                    If you read my post about poor handling I can only say that the Michelin ps3s have dramatically improved my car. Now running with toyos on the back and ps3s on the front. If I had made the front decision first I would have ps3s all round. I know they are not mid range, but the price was only about £10 dearer. Standard size for front were £106 fitted.
                    That's a good price for the PS3. Front tyre wear on these cars is extremely good, usually rear tyre wear can be 2x that of the front, so will be an ideal time to fit PS3s on the rear when the Toyos wear out!

Comment

Working...
                    X