Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought about changing only the thermostat, not replacing all housing

Comment

OIC, I'm not sure if that is possible since the M3 one is internal unless it is similar/same!

Comment

may be to remove the thermostat or leave it open all the time. what do you think?

Comment

There is that bypass available, but it you had it open all the time it would probable be ok for a track car but it'd run too cool is a cooler climate; or you could block the airflow to the cooler and remove it when it gets hot but that's not exactly practical!

Comment

I drive only in summer. open thermostat has an impact on engine oil pressure?

Comment

I shouldn't do in terms of normal operation as whatever space the thermostat takes up will be filled up with oil.

Unless you mean oil temp and pressure in which case oil pressure will be higher for longer when it's cold until it's up to temp.

Comment

open the thermostat and cold oil - pressure can be dangerously low for the engine?

Comment

I removed the thermostat and replaced it this:

oil circuit is always open

Comment

How do you find it with no thermostat? Surely the oil runs too cool all the time unless the car is tracked (and even then warm up time must be a long time?). The 205GTi 1.9 has an air oil cooler like the Z3M but it doesn't have a thermostat so the oil temp gauge used to take an age to move off cold and rarely moved at all.

Comment

UPDATE: I'm pleased to report that the new oil filter housing (with new thermostat) seems to have solved my oil temp problems; took a test drive last night and the oil temp never went about 95degree (looking at it from driver's position) even after sustained high speed motorway and faster driving in lower gears. The same driving before would result in 115degrees shown quite quickly!

Fitting isn't quick as you have to remove the inlet manifold (which is a bit akward getting at the breather pipes underneath!), belts, alternator and PAS pump).
                      Last edited by c_w; 26-04-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I pulled the thermostat and it dimensioned.
                        I was inspired by this auction:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-BM...p2047675.l2557

my friend uses this solution and works s50b30.
                        personally have not tested. oil circulation is not much greater at the open thermostat (open not stretched completely)

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                          UPDATE: I'm pleased to report that the new oil filter housing (with new thermostat) seems to have solved my oil temp problems; took a test drive last night and the oil temp never went about 95degree (looking at it from driver's position) even after sustained high speed motorway and faster driving in lower gears. The same driving before would result in 115degrees shown quite quickly!

Fitting isn't quick as you have to remove the inlet manifold (which is a bit akward getting at the breather pipes underneath!), belts, alternator and PAS pump).
                          Chris did you have to buy a new oil filter housing from a BMW dealer?

Comment

Best price was from your best friends, BM Mini Parts! Was around £185.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                              Best price was from your best friends, BM Mini Parts! Was around £185.
                              nice one

Comment

Quantity: 1
                                Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 11 42 7839858 - OIL FILTER WITH OIL COOLER CONNECTION
                                Price Each Excl VAT: 156.39
                                Total Excl VAT: 156.39
                                Total VAT: 31.28
                                Total Inc VAT: 187.67

I ordered the gasket too but it comes with a new one with the filter housing anyway! To replace it, involves removing the inlet manifold, front belts, alternator, tensioners etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X