Rear diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diffuser

To prevent the Dave's topic on side gills going too far off course though I'd start this one!

A company called Never Done makes some nice looking Z3 bits here http://neverdone.bigcartel.com/category/z-series

Originally posted by xsamsonx View Post
    Some good stuff in there, there's a diffuser that might look quite good on the car;

http://neverdone.bigcartel.com/produ...-rear-diffuser

Last edited by c_w; 14-11-2012, 01:57 PM.

Originally posted by c_w
    Some good stuff in there, there's a diffuser that might look quite good on the car;
    Yeah, I thought the same Chris. There are a few cars in the photo thread that appear to have it fitted.
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by c_w

http://neverdone.bigcartel.com/produ...-rear-diffuser

Oh yeah!! I was in contact with Chip (one of the owners) yesterday and I'm thinking about that diffuser as well as a matching full splitter for the front. I've ordered the stickers already.

I haven't felt this excited about a car in ages....and I've had 6 cars this year so far :) The MCoupe is here to stay!
      '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black S52 M-Coupe

Comment

I don't normally like add on stuff, especially on the rear like the ACS/hamman(?) rear diffuser pieces but that looks quite good even if it's not actually effective!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
          I don't normally like add on stuff, especially on the rear like the ACS/hamman(?) rear diffuser pieces but that looks quite good even if it's not actually effective!
          I couldn't agree more...such a subtle yet aggressive-looking add-on...if you look for them on Facebook, they have a page where customers have submitted more photos of the diffuser and splitter on their cars....you get an idea from different angles, with/without paint accents, etc...I like it completely in black the best.
          '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black S52 M-Coupe

Comment

Rear diffuser

The first two have colour coded strips on the fins ,looks quite good but I think I'd go with all black if I got one;

Last edited by c_w; 14-11-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Anyone know if you have to cut your standard bumper to fit one of these diffusers? Or can they be stuck on?
              It looks to me like they have been cut?
              Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

my bros car has one of these fitted to it.
                phil bought it from US, it has been stuck on with DS tape i think.
                will try get some pics when i next have the car here.
                gotta get my priorities right. need to stick the rear badge in the right place first

Click here to email me

Comment

Maybe Hamann & Gpower stuff are not always aerodynamic but looking cool. They just have issues with installing. ACS stuff are aerodynamic, looking cool and also installing is not even comparable with Hamann.
                  These parts produced "by neverdonebefore" are designed by himself so I respect his efforts. But the diffuser is 3M doublesided stick on, splitters are not too cheap for sheet ABS laser cut parts, no aerodynamic affect on any of them and looks like a cheap solution of F430 diffusers. I'd rather choose aerodramatic Hamann and Gpower parts or ask for VARIS Japan to produce an effective splitter & full diffuser kit (that I already ask them ;)
                  I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                  sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

I think that "diffuser" would actually work against the car because it will trap air in front of the part on its upper side under the bumper.

I made my own diffuser several years ago, as per the photos below.

I gutted a pair of rear silencers which have provably improved engine performance and finished them with flat undersides which are higher than when in OEM form. I've attached a flat undertray between the silencers so that the underside is flat and prevents air behind the axle from filling the rear bumper. I've added vertical strakes to all these parts and also put strakes onto the butt-strut and also installed a "diffuser wing" that fits between the silencers. It might all look like a dog's breakfast under there but most of it is out of sight and all this stuff can easily be removed and the car returned to OEM guise.

The ACS roof wing "drives" the diffuser and on a wet road it produces a nice "rooster tail" which shows that it actually works. The car feels very stable at all speeds.

/// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Thing is I'm sure for a diffuser to work properly the floor of the car has to be flat and the Z3M is not so they're all more aesthetic additions than useful IMO.
                      Last edited by c_w; 14-11-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        Thing is I'm sure for a diffuser to work properly the floor of the car has to be flat and the Z3M is not so they're all more aesthetic additions than useful IMO.
                        With a completely flat floor along the length of the car a diffuser would obviously work better/optimally, but tidying up the flow under the car from the rear axle rearwards is better than nothing. A rooster tail shows that the overall air flow around the entire car is like that around an inverted wing, whereas, normally the air flow is more like that around a normal wing that generates lift. It's all about increasing the speed of the air under the car to create relatively lower pressure than ambient.
                        Last edited by exdos; 14-11-2012, 03:21 PM.
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I agree but how well does the ACS work with a normal floor vs the Never Done one - the ACS is chrome surrounding the exhausts and looks tacky IMO - even if it generated negative lift I wouldn't fit it!

Comment

I agree but how well does the ACS work with a normal floor vs the Never Done one - the ACS is chrome surrounding the exhausts and looks tacky IMO - even if it generated negative lift I wouldn't fit it!
                            Have you ever seen the ACS diffuser in person? They look even worse than they do in photos. I'm sure most aftermarket so-called "aero" bits are sold for their "sporty" looks.
                            /// Exdos ///

Comment

I think it looks great

Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
                              X