Windscreen wiper switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen wiper switch

My windscreen wipers have decided that they like being on all the time, even with the ignition off and key removed - new one on me..

Only way to stop them is to disconnect the battery. Once the battery is reconnected, they start again, even with ignition off.

Washers work fine (front and back) but rear wiper has stopped working.

Guess the switch is knackered?

Will try to get one tomorrow, any views would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ian
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Can you unplug the stalk control at multi plug and see what happens? also is there a relay for the wipers? and I think there is a wiper control module ?
    Last edited by Dave P; 29-04-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

It's unlikely to be the switch as it should only have a ignition live. Never heard of the fault before but it sounds like the wiper control module, its a small white box located behind the glovebox.

I may have one, let me know if your interested.

Comment

Jwx,

Thank you. Hope you are not right, as ordered new switch today for collection tomorrow. I have a horrible feeling now that you might be!!

I have never heard of such problem before either. Still, worst case is I have a shiny new switch, only part of the car that will be better than (or at least as good as) Dave P's!!

Will post how I get on.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

On reflection, I think JWC is likely correct. Power is obviously on even with ignition off/key removed.

Consequently have cancelled order for switch and ordered wiper control module - only snag is part is ex Munich, could be 2 week lead time even though car is OTR.

Patience is said to be a virtue, mmmmmmmmm

Comment

Plenty on ebay if you wanted to try on before the new part arrived,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...8366381&_rdc=1

Comment

Great idea Dave, thanks.

Only snag is ours is different 61358369474 - might be same as E36 touring (obviously we have the rear wider) but couldn't spot one on ebay.

Thanks gain for the thought.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                Great idea Dave, thanks.

Only snag is ours is different 61358369474 - might be same as E36 touring (obviously we have the rear wider) but couldn't spot one on ebay.

Thanks gain for the thought.

Ian
                I think I may have searched by S54 USA not UK as the UK cars had the headlamp wash as standard which is the 474 number, there is one on ebay for £45 so not really cheap enough to use as a trial.

Comment

Bit of an update, car has been OTR for the last couple of days with battery disconnected.

Reconnected this morning, and all is well (working normally).

Certain now (following lead from Jwx) that it is indeed a control module issue. With reflection, the problem arose after the wipers had been running for a while in heavy rain. Wondering if something heats up and malfunctions?

Anyway, replacement module ordered and on the way from the Fatherland - driving on dry days only for now, the old boy won't appreciate being a garage queen though, must find some polish!!

Ian

Comment

Could just be a sticking relay?

Comment

Hi CW.

Can't find a relay on the wiring diagram (i'm rubbish at understanding these things so likely me!). Doesn't the control module effectively provide this function, keeping the higher amps away from the switch?

If my amateur interpretation is not right, very grateful for a steer.

Cheers,
                      Ian

Comment

You could be right, was just thinking that a relay that gets stuck would keep the power through it.

Comment

As with any fault like this it needs to be properly diagnosed. As I suggested my first check would be the module, but I'd want to check all the wiring before comiting to ordering a new unit.

Comment

Jwx is right about checking the wiring first, but I don't have the skill.

Control module replaced today, easy job. Now need some decent rain -likely i'm the only person in the country wish for rain, sorry!

Comment

Control module replaced today, easy job. Now need some decent rain -likely i'm the only person in the country wish for rain, sorry![/quote]

It should work without rain !!

Comment

Working...
                              X