Stereo harness for HK system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo harness for HK system?

As the weather is getting better, I am using the car more and suffering from a lack of bluetooth/audio streaming. I'd like to replace the BMW headunit with a sensible-looking pioneer one.

I have the HK amp/sub/speakers factor fitted. Any pointers as to which harness I need to connect an aftermarket unit (ISO with RCA outs) to the HK sub/speakers? Do I need an arial adaptor?

Thanks!
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

There is a different ISO connector for HK systems BUT I have just used a standard ISO connector on mine and it works fine. I tried the HK ISO first but found the volume too low on anything but 3/4 because it uses the RCA pre-outs.

So the main difference is the volume doesn't need turning up as much for it to go loud (and in theory will go louder since it's pre-amped). Sound quality is no different, but with the standard ISO there are much less wires and therefore much easier to tuck back in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      There is a different ISO connector for HK systems BUT I have just used a standard ISO connector on mine and it works fine. I tried the HK ISO first but found the volume too low on anything but 3/4 because it uses the RCA pre-outs.

So the main difference is the volume doesn't need turning up as much for it to go loud (and in theory will go louder since it's pre-amped). Sound quality is no different, but with the standard ISO there are much less wires and therefore much easier to tuck back in the dash.
      Thanks for this. What head unit are you using? The pioneer that I am considering gives a 4v 50Wx4 output, and I am a bit concerned about overloading the amp...

Do you have link/model number for the harness? Did you need an adapter for the FM aerial?
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Before I´ve removed the HK system from my car I was also using a Kenwood head unit with a standard ISO adapter, works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
          Before I´ve removed the HK system from my car I was also using a Kenwood head unit with a standard ISO adapter, works fine.
          Thanks. Will give it a try...

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
            Thanks for this. What head unit are you using? The pioneer that I am considering gives a 4v 50Wx4 output, and I am a bit concerned about overloading the amp...

Do you have link/model number for the harness? Did you need an adapter for the FM aerial?
            It's a Becker Mexico, probably similar output I bet. I think it should be fine - like I say you just don't turn it up as much! :)

Comment

Working...
            X