You learn something new . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You learn something new . . .

I've had my MC coming up for 4 years now and I only just realised last night that it has speed sensitive wipers. I sometimes thought it was a bit of an omission that the car didn't have a variable intermittent wiper control - now I know why ! On the intermittent and slow speed setting the wipers react to the speed of the car. Realised this last night when the wipers appeared to stop on the intermittent setting when the car was stopped.

Anyone else failed to realise this or is it just me? Shows how little I must drive it in the rain !
    Col N.
    Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
    ex Audi S4 Avant
    ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
    ex Porsche 968

I only spotted that they stopped when stopped a month or so ago, after 3.5 years of ownership!

Paul

Comment

The radio volume is also speed-sensitive.

Comment

I knew about the wipers as this was my first car with that fitted!!

As for the radio, I knew that too but mine doesnt work.........is it a setting that needs to be turned on?? (Or do I have a headunit that doesnt support it?)
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post

As for the radio, I knew that too but mine doesnt work.........is it a setting that needs to be turned on?? (Or do I have a headunit that doesnt support it?)
          The factory radio should do it by default (although there might be a setting to disable it?), aftermarket headunits don't always support it (Beckers do but you still need to manually wire the speed signal to it).

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post

If it is a factory unit, it may be the previous owner disconnected the speed signal wire - some people find the feature annoying. If it's not factory, then as Chris says it's not supported by all units.
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Comment

Just checked and I have the BMW Professional headunit. If it has been disconnected, is it easy to reconnect?
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

My becker mexico unit is also wired into the reverse sensor, although it is clearly wired in wrong because once you select reverse the sound volume increases and once you select a forward gear again it goes into mute. As a result the sound only comes back when you go back into reverse, as far as i can see the only solution is turn the stereo off and on again once you are in a forward gear. I've even deselected the reverse mute option and it still does it

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
                  My becker mexico unit is also wired into the reverse sensor, although it is clearly wired in wrong because once you select reverse the sound volume increases and once you select a forward gear again it goes into mute. As a result the sound only comes back when you go back into reverse, as far as i can see the only solution is turn the stereo off and on again once you are in a forward gear. I've even deselected the reverse mute option and it still does it

Paul
                  I shouldn't laugh but that's funny :)

It's an easy fix. The wire it should be connected to is on the original connector block to the stereo. Can't remember the colour but there's been a post on here which mentions it.

Comment

You're right it is pretty amusing, well for my passengers anyway

I need to get the serial no for the stereo anyway, don't have the security code and the battery has been disconnected for 4 months (long story involving a new boot floor), so I'll disconnect the reverse signal when i take the head unit out to check the S/N.

Ta,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X