AC Schnitzer subframe "spacers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Schnitzer subframe "spacers"

On the ZRoadster forum someone made a detailed post about fitting the ACS suspension kit on their Z3M Roadster. The kit comes with 4 springs, 4 shocks and 2 aluminium donut-shaped spacers which look around 10mm or so thick.

The spacer is fitted ABOVE the subframe where it bolts to the body and required a bit of work to fit as the subframe needs to be dropped from the body so the spacers can be fitted on the subframe studs.

You can see the gap these spacers are "packing" out if you undo the lower 3 screws holding the rear arch liner on; peel it back and you can see how the subframe is bolted up to the car and the stud coming out of the body; at the top and bottom of the subframe bush there are 4 or 5 "buffers" intended to smooth out excessive movement.

The gap at the bottom between the bush and side plates is quite small, but the gap at the top between the bush and the body is quite large so it would require quite extreme subframe movement to hit the buffers (but as the buffers are there at the top it would indicate this is within the designed range of the bush). With the ACS spacers fitted this gap must be reduced to someting similar to that of the bottom.

Does anyone who has got the ACS suspension fitted know if these spacers/packers are fitted to their car?

As an experiment I've packed out the top of mine with some rubber with no noticeable increase in NVH. I've only done a quick test drive but it did seem to shift smoother and have less rear steer under acceleration as the subframe isn't twisting.

c-w,

I've presently got my MC up in the air. I'll take a look tomorrow at the tops of the subframe. I like your idea. I've got lots of bits of rubber lying around here. I'll make a couple of rubber spacers as per the diagram below, which should easily slide onto the subframe bolts.

I've seen a similar thread about the gap above the subframe bushes regarding Ireland Engineering poly bushes here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...e+bush+Ireland
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

very old post but here's what you get with the ACS road suspension kit, I would imagine they are well worth the hassle of fitting them?
      2 alloy spacers and 2 washers?

Last edited by Dave P; 24-04-2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

They came in my ACS kit, but I never fitted them. I passed them onto the new owner with the rest of the kit, but I am not sure if he ever fitted them.

I assumed they were just to stiffen up the stock bush, so as I already had the Ireleand bushes I never bothered. Do they server another function?

Comment

did you get fitting instructions with your kit?

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
            did you get fitting instructions with your kit?
            No, no instructions at all.

Comment

You would have to drop the rear subframe off the subframe pins. IMO, it's not worth the hassle unless you've got other work to do on the subframe. I've now got some similar spacers on my MC made from 10mm thick conveyor belting, but I did that when I was fitting other bits.
              Last edited by exdos; 28-12-2010, 06:07 PM.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Rossiters qouted 4 hours to fit the suspension kit so I will ring them in the new year and see if that includes fitting the spacers.

Comment

i fitted the ACS spacers to my car when changing the rear suspension -- added a couple of hours to the job (amateur spannerman)

well worth it imo -- they eliminate approx 5mm of vertical "float" in the rear subframe bushes.

Comment

Drawing pls

It seems the only reason not to fit them is that the benefit is not very 'quantifiable' and its a pain in the neck to do?
                    Could one of you kind gentlemen sketch a dimensioned drawing of these spacers, as it seems that they are a good idea to fit if you have poly bushes (not from the ACS kit) in place?
                    Happy new year one and all
                    Adam

Comment

Originally posted by MMM View Post
                      it seems that they are a good idea to fit if you have poly bushes (not from the ACS kit) in place?
                      I would argue that the ACS spacers serve a better function with the OEM rubber subframe bushes which have a LOT of movement in 3D. With poly subframe bushes there is very little movement.
                      /// Exdos ///

Comment

I spoke to Ac Schnitzer UK who said these spacers are a integral part of the suspension kit and should be fitted.

Comment

They will say that won't they

I would guess 90% of those cars fitted out of BMW dealerships won't have these fitted. They do make a different though; I've not looked for a long time but I think my cut and stacked vinyl sheeting is holding up ok to fill the void in the same way!

Comment

found the fitting instructions for these on the ACS website,

Comment

Doesn't look *that* bad to do if it drops down without disconnecting brake lines etc!

I've not checked mine for a while but assume the rubber inserts I wrapped around the gap on mine are still there!

Comment

Working...
                              X