Clear All

• very slight knocking on front when on bumpy roads

Hi chaps i have an anoying slight knocking noise
    from the front end both sides when driving over
    small bumps my indie cant find anything it is driving
    me nutts.
    Can anyone shine any light on this cheers,

Bol.

Hi there,it could be lose/ish front drop links,they do wear,they do need to be exceedingly tight!

Comment

Front top mounts and ball joints would also be on the list of things to check.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Echo checking the ARB bolts, both ends of the droplink. Perhaps not an issue on OEM bars but with H&R bars they are prone to coming loose.

Comment

Had the same on my old car and both front drop links were damaged/worn

Click here to email me

Comment

One thing you guys are missing is the Strut top mount bearings, I have had these go and produce a knock when going over the smallest of bumps.

Just something else to consider.
            Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
            ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Cheers all i will get this checked out.

Comment

As has been said already, drop links are a known issue, but as with most things suspension related you have to unload the component before testing it, otherwise it will appear to be ok.
                Do the drop links first as they are probably the easiest thing to remove out of all the above, but remember when you replace them to have them as neutral as possible, when the car is down on its wheels and under neutral load then the drop link bolts should be at 90 degrees to the link rod, this will stop any undue stress or strain on the joints.
                Are you running OE ARB's?
                2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Hi Steve, iam running oe arb at the moment but i might upgrade soon,
                  iam going to do drop links first i will follow your instruction on this and
                  se if this sorts it out.
                  Cheers for your input.

Bol.

Comment

If you do upgrade at some stage then you might like to consider some whiteline drop links when you do, these will last longer than OE parts.

Comment

I thought many people with the whitelines were reporting problems?

I'm sure someone like Meyle do some uprated ones that will be OEM quality but stronger, there was a thread not too long ago.

Comment

I can recommend the MEYLE heavy duty arb links, have just replaced mine 2 weeks ago with these and they are top notch. transformed the feel (old OE ones were starting to knock a little to getting worse) they look well manufactured too and have bush covers to help stop crap getting in them.

They are on ebay for around £35-40 for a pair, basically same price as one OEM link from BMW
                        ///Made for sideways action

Comment

these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3...item256785552f

:)
                          Last edited by paulm3; 15-11-2012, 01:37 PM.
                          ///Made for sideways action

Comment

Wasn't aware that people were having problems, obviously my car has long gone now, and all the time I owned it and had the whitelines fitted they were perfect.
                            You also have to remember that the whitelines are adj so you can get them just right for whatever set up you happen to have.
                            As I've already said, if you fit any sort of link and you don't set them correctly then they will not last as long.

Comment

As I've already said, if you fit any sort of link and you don't set them correctly then they will not last as long.
                              Could not agree more with the above statement,,as mentioned i did have whitelines fitted and the bottom rose joints failed! so i replaced to oem ones..and havnt had a problem at all! i also run Hr's..New oem droplinks/thrust rods cost £76 inc from the stealers.the method of tightening up is....when you think its tight,,tighten them some more !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X