Headlight problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight problems

I have water marks/staining on the inside lens of both headlight units and don't really want to spend £1k on two new units, I have

never seen just the plastic covers for sale as BMW only offered complete light units I believe so another option would be to buy

newer second hand z3 lights and swop the covers over which looks to be a fairly major job. Has anyone attempted this? also I

want to retain the early all black light units as these are correct for the age of my car so cant really swap just the light units over.

Dave,,i think that its a heat in the oven job,is it not in someones thread regarding swapping the innards over to projectors?

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
      Dave,,i think that its a heat in the oven job,is it not in someones thread regarding swapping the innards over to projectors?
      Yes you need to heat them up and then dismantle which looks like a PITA

Comment

Are they really £1000 a pair now from BMW now?? I price some a few years ago (at the time of the projector group buy) and there were around £250 each, still very pricey at that. I actually got a brand new pair off ebay at a very good price, they look fantastic when they're brand new it has to be said.

It's not a major job to take the lense off once it's warmed up (I use a hair dryer which is a bit easier than an oven but you'd need to fine a second salvage set take them off.

The chrome rings aren't a major difference, and since the car is way different to original (Porsche calipers, e46 discs etc), why are you wanting to specifically keep to the old headlights?
        Last edited by c_w; 17-06-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
          Are they really £1000 a pair now from BMW now?? I price some a few years ago (at the time of the projector group buy) and there were around £250 each, still very pricey at that. I actually got a brand new pair off ebay at a very good price, they look fantastic when they're brand new it has to be said.

It's not a major job to take the lense off once it's warmed up (I use a hair dryer which is a bit easier than an oven but you'd need to fine a second salvage set take them off.
          I think most parts have shot up in price recently - £515 each inc vat before any discount (10%) how good do they go back together?

Comment

That's crazy money! Worse because they are American-made crap.

They go back together ok, the main bit is separating the two halves and not distoring the edges (not a major issue but it can leave evidence they have been apart, but if you break them open from the underside this can't be seen).

Comment

Had mine apart a couple of times to give them a tidy up.

There are about 8 metal clips holding the two halves of the cluster together, these simply pop off with a screwdriver.

Next job is to heat up the black sealant that actually binds the two sections. You can do this with a heat gun bit-by-bit but its quite difficult this way as when cold (and therefore set) it is incredibly strong and you could risk damaging something trying to prise each section apart.

Once the glue is soft enough the two sections simply pull apart and your done.

Comment

dave

stripped the units on a discovery 2 weeks ago

just pull the clips off and use a heat gun.
                once the sealant has gone soft they peel apart easy
                to re seal clean off old gunk and reseal with black mastic or rubber sealant easy job
                [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

On the BMW headlights I've done they go back together ok without any extra sealant as it's non-setting so just needs warming up on both sides and putting back together.

Comment

on wheeler dealers a few months ago they used a special glass / plastic abrasive polish to clean up a mucky headlight lens. Does anyone know of such a product ?

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                      on wheeler dealers a few months ago they used a special glass / plastic abrasive polish to clean up a mucky headlight lens. Does anyone know of such a product ?
                      Lots of products on the market for this including Meguiars PlastX which I have used and it does work

more details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ing+kit&page=6
                      Last edited by Dave P; 21-06-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

thanks Dave

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                          I am aware that Scratch remover works also. I am not too sure how that affects the lens long term but a local garage i know swears by it. Been doing it that way for years he says and i have used it before on previous cars. does work a treat

Comment

I need a pair of mint early (<04/99) RHD headlights

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              I need a pair of mint early (<04/99) RHD headlights
                              Isthis because the polsihing didn't work? I think rubbing through the UV hard/protective layer means the lights will never be tough enough for long period without fading.

I need todo the headlights on my dad's car though for the MOT, they've gone really yellow, have some plastiX stuff just need to get a drill or something out to buff them up!

Comment

Working...
                              X