Runflat tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by btz461 View Post
    Don't be dopey here there is plenty of room for a space saver wheel and tyre and cover in the boot (hatch) of the car. The jack and wheel brace go in the tray adjacent to the battery (Under the carpet) I'll post photos tomorrow.
    This gives you the ability to travel all over without having to worry about what happens if?.....'cos it can be a long way between tyre shops here in rural New Zealand.
    And those runflats whether old or new are just not suitable to the coupe chassis ask me how I know.
    Go on then, have you used run flats on a MC?

Ian
    (a la dopey)
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Hehe. As an example, I ran Porsche-spec N2 tyres on my coupe years ago. Whilst not runflats they had extremely hard sidewalls specificed for a 911 and the car just never settled and didn't feel smooth due to constant jittering. Funny thing is though it rides fine on R888s.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        Hehe. As an example, I ran Porsche-spec N2 tyres on my coupe years ago. Whilst not runflats they had extremely hard sidewalls specificed for a 911 and the car just never settled and didn't feel smooth due to constant jittering. Funny thing is though it rides fine on R888s.
        Yep, it's a difficult one. I followed the opinions when run flats were first fitted to BMWs (I think they are now said to be better) but my 2012 touring fitted with run flats is fine (for me anyway). Guess the only way to find out for sure is to gamble the £500 and try a set. Currently have one new tyre and 3 with 6mm plus tread so may wait a while.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I personally still wouldn't :) like I said the 2012 Touring on runflats will also have much stiffer suspension and tighter handling than the Coupe but take it all in it's rattle-free stride.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
            Go on then, have you used run flats on a MC?

Ian
            (a la dopey)
            Yes Continental Contisports and they were awful for the reasons other board members have posted.
            Also ran them on the 993, and our M3 Evo and have just had no luck with runflats at all.
            So the M3 runs on Michelin PS3, the 993 on PS2 and the M coupe is on Continental Conti Contact MC5 and these are ideal.

I know costwise the R/F can appear to be a sensible solution but the reality (for us anyway) is the substantial loss of ride and handling quality.

Comment

Thanks for the views guys, seems overwhelming in favour of avoiding run flats on the MC. With no views the other way, will leave as is. All this said, last weekend was the first time I have been let down by tyre failure in 12 years and 210K miles with the MC, all on Michelin PSs (v1 to v3 (current)). Must find something else to worry about!

Comment

If you were on PS3 then they have soft sidewalls, if you go for PS4 it will have a stiffer sidewall as it is more of a replacement that bridges the gap between the Pilot Sport and the Super Sport in certain sizes.

Comment

Must find something else to worry about! __________________
                  I did think this,and there will be!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    I've Porsche-spec N2 spec tyres on the back of mine and really enjoy the handling. Mind you, I dare say that I don't drive it quite as well as you do Chris
                    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                      I've Porsche-spec N2 spec tyres on the back of mine and really enjoy the handling. Mind you, I dare say that I don't drive it quite as well as you do Chris
                      I just felt the ride was a bit jittery, the were 17s too and not 18s like yours. The tyre fitters struggled to fit them they were like stiff. They were Bridgestone S02 N2, just for road tyres so maybe that is why I wanted a bit more comfort from them. In comparison R888s were easier and softer!

Comment

Yep, they're a sod to get on/off!
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I would avoid run flats on any car at the moment. AFter a few years of run flats I recently gave up and moved our 530d onto Continental Sport Contact 5s. Even in that big old bus the improvement is night and day. From what was an OK driver I was getting tired of to now a pleasure to drive I fancy keeping.

Comment

I've got a pair of Bridgestone S001 245/40/17 only done a handful of mile so still measuring full tread depth, got them on ebay at the moment. These are stiff tyre and whilst not runflats would run on little air without looking like pancakes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Bridges...gAAOSwnQhXpi~m

Comment

Working...
                            X