Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust query

Hi
    I am told my cats are starting to go on my s54...emission light and check at garage. It seem sort of logical as the car is now circa 130 miles...

so folks what do you reckon
    1. 2k plus for OEM cats (a lot of money for no benefit)
    2. second hand cat (found some that look great on here)
    3. No cats - more power and noise
    4. Race cats - can't seem to find the cost and which suit the s54 - ideas welcome

Cheers Rod

Originally posted by rod View Post
    Hi
    I am told my cats are starting to go on my s54...emission light and check at garage. It seem sort of logical as the car is now circa 130 miles...

so folks what do you reckon
    1. 2k plus for OEM cats (a lot of money for no benefit)
    2. second hand cat (found some that look great on here)
    3. No cats - more power and noise
    4. Race cats - can't seem to find the cost and which suit the s54 - ideas welcome

Cheers Rod
    Metal Cats / Resonators would be good idea for its price compared to OEM cats. Also S54 has a very nice engine sound with supersprint race exhaust system ;)
    I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
    sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Hi
      do you have a linked for the supersprint system - been struggling to find anything on the net - what sort of costs is it?

Cheers rod

Comment

You could try Prospeed in Cardiff for race cats

Comment

At one time i was thinking about "doing something regarding my exhaust's and did speak to pro-speed and they couldn't have been more helpfull,being in Cardiff they was even suggesting a B/B for the night and drive back in the morning all done..

Comment

hi
            spoke to Prospeed yesterday - had 2 solutions and the cost was very good....their reviews seem spot on...I will feed back when the work is done

cheers rod

Comment

Originally posted by rod View Post
              hi
              spoke to Prospeed yesterday - had 2 solutions and the cost was very good....their reviews seem spot on...I will feed back when the work is done

cheers rod
              Intriguing!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I'd just be cautious as to what Cat substrates they use.

Ideally for something reasonably powerful like an S50/S54 you would want to use a HJS tri core substrate.

There is some information halfway down this page:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-vs-metal-cat

To give you an idea, trade would typically pay around £200 +vat per HJS substrate, whereas a cheap metallic type substrate would be around £50+vat. Cheap metallic cats have numerous failure modes, including the core coming out, twisting and potentially blocking the exhaust! This can and will kill engines if left.

I have seen numerous failures on the cheap metallic cats (I work in performance exhausts) so I would never recommend them. I have yet to see a failed HJS cat.

So if they use HJS cats, that is probably the best part of £670 + vat with their margin. So if the job is under a grand, I wouldn't expect them to be using 'good' substrates.

My personal opinion, baring in mind my company makes performance exhausts (and has for 50 years), would be to find a good second hand OEM set. You should then have no MOT dramas, its matched to the engine calibration and you know it is going to fit well.

By the way, I have no axe to grind with the company. I have never seen their work, I just know a bit about Cat substrates. If they use HJS cats and the cost is good, then I would say go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the response - they have found a good second hand OEM cat with 20k miles...so going with that

I will ask re the spec for their cat and get back to the forum on what they use

Cheers and thanks again Rod

Comment

Hi
                    Just a bit of feedback on Prospeed. They seem to have done a great job and it was less than £300 so happy. They used cats from a last gen M3 and saved me a lot of money.

They could have also fitted 200 cell race cats for £600 ish - the cats are made by Rossi.

So nice people, good service and cheap - if you are in the SW then worth speaking to.

Cheers Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X