Full respray or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full respray or not?

So having owned a few cars which have needed some cosmetic love in the past, I am at a juncture with the mcoupe and feeling confused s.

Mine isn't a pristine sub 40k miles car! It is one with a very good history and over 100k miles. The bodywork needs some sprucing up, some rust treatment on edges of sills etc.
    Do I have these areas done? To a high standard of course
    Or do I get a full respray? This would also be fine to an excellent standard- all rust cut out and bare metal treated.
    I'm just thinking if this would put people off in the future if I came to sell?

If the work is done well, you shouldn't be able to tell! It wont be cheap though.
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I along with many others on here.. i had the edges of the sills bubbling and kept it a bay with a little sanding and a touch up! I eventually had new sills fitted and was shocked at the amount of rust that had crept up further inwards, i would recomend replacing these and getting them stoneguarded or the equivelent inside.Costs are not that strong.I also replaced the jacking pads.Tidied it up greatly.I am having new rear wings fitted next week,the costs for them isnt too bad either.Bite the bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
        I along with many others on here.. i had the edges of the sills bubbling and kept it a bay with a little sanding and a touch up! I eventually had new sills fitted and was shocked at the amount of rust that had crept up further inwards, i would recomend replacing these and getting them stoneguarded or the equivelent inside.Costs are not that strong.I also replaced the jacking pads.Tidied it up greatly.I am having new rear wings fitted next week,the costs for them isnt too bad either.Bite the bullet.
        How much were the wings?

I've got some new sills to go on at some point

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

i replaced my rear panells and sills last year,the panells cost £600 trade price.there was a lot of work involved to remove them mainly stripping out the interior .i also replaced the sills which were really bad inside to my surprise.i then had full respray.the whole job cost aroud 3k including parts however the work was done by a friend and i took a week of to assist him.i also wax oiled everything.the only regret i have is not doing the engine bay when it was all exposed.

Comment

Would you be kind enough to tell where you got the panels from?
            £3k including parts with all tat work involved sounds excellent value!

Comment

The panells came from local bmw ,barrack road n.c.l.0191 2617366.i have my reciept here and exact price was £660.part no b41 .35.8.400.033 andb41.35.8.400.034the paint was cheap as i stripped the car and jeff (seymores body shop)is a friend.also panels were purchased by him at trade price.

Comment

Were the rear quarter prices plus or inclusive of vat?

But realistically you're looking at £4-5k if you don't strip the parts and the painter isn't your mate!

Comment

I think if you have corrosion thn it's better getting it addressed sooner rather than later.

I'd personally go for a full respray.

If you have localised repair work done then any decent bodyshop will want to fade into adjacent panels rather than go edge to edge to avoid matching issues.

If a few panels are affected then its worth going the whole hog an having it done properly. All trim is easy enough to remove and a well finished job won't affect resale values. It's got to be right though

Where are you based? I can recommend a great shop here in Cheshire area

Comment

the price i paid for panels was including vat but like c.w said 4-5k would be a closer estimate .i had another quote for 3k paint only and i had to deliver car stripped ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X