My Imola Red S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Imola Red S50

Well, my first M car, my first BMW and my first car sort of. Up until now I have been using my dad's car as i'm not home very much so couldn't justify owning a car, until i had enough money to save up for a car i actually wanted that is. I didnt set out looking for an M Coupe but when i started looking they seemed to fit what i wanted quite well, I had always fancied an M car and was thinking about an M3 but i liked the idea of something out of the ordinary (I think ive only seen one of these cars on the road once before compared to countless m3's).

Anyway, I had 6 weeks home and decided that i was definitely buying something. You might recognize this car as it was posted on here and I only bought it this week and so far enjoying it.

First impressions on the drive home were that it felt harder to drive than what i was used to, especially the heavy clutch and the gearchange that needed a bit of a shove (there was quite a few crunched gears at first). The weather hasn't helped as its been mostly greasy and damp since getting it, leading to a few moments where its tried to catch me out.

Since the weather was good today i decided to go for a proper drive and took some pictures.

Last edited by alanw89; 26-02-2013, 09:25 PM.

great car, great plate, great roads!

welcome, nice purchase

heavy clutch could be the clutch hose needing replacement or system needing bleeding.

Click here to email me

Comment

Yeah I've been doing some reading and thought that too, first bit of maintenance may be clutch hose and gearbox oil changed.

Comment

Some great looking roads - where are you based?
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

great pictures what's the location?

Comment

Nice buy..

I was very close to buying this car myself...Had a chat with the guy selling it,but couldnt come to terms :(

Enjoy!.........

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Some great looking roads - where are you based?
              Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              great pictures what's the location?
              Im based on the west coast near Glasgow and these pictures were taken around Glencoe, couple of hours drive but worth it.

Originally posted by Alpinaman View Post
              Nice buy..

I was very close to buying this car myself...Had a chat with the guy selling it,but couldnt come to terms :(

Enjoy!.........
              Like I said I only had 6 weeks to buy myself something so had this checked out by a BMW Dealer for peace of mind and decided to just go for it. Theres a few things I want to do as going by the history it hasn't been used much at all in the last year, hence it needed a few bulbs and new wipers straight away, but apart from that it seems pretty sound. I guess time will tell.

Comment

Congratulations on buying one in the best colour. The problem is you will struggle to find a second car that is more fun so it's downhill from here :-)
                VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Great pics mate and a stunning car in the colour
                  Good to hear of another owner up in sunny Scotland !!!
                  I am not far from you and sure we will meet up at some point.
                  Enjoy your new toy
                  Regards Derek

Comment

Welcome and congrats from a fellow Imola owner

Comment

Real nice pics and coupe
                      Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Well one week into ownership and I'm already spending. First of all there were a couple little things to sort. New wipers were fitted and new bulbs for the taillights as one was out.

Then I bought an arch liner for the front right as it seemed to have been hit by something at some point and bent back, could see a lot of dirt collecting in the sill where it wasn't covered so decided to change it. Not too bad a job, just a bit fiddly getting the new one into position.

New throttle cable fitted also, not a noticeable difference in performance so mine must have been ok but it does feel a bit smoother with the new one.

Main gripe with the car is the clutch and gearbox which I'm getting more used to but would still like to see if I can make it better. Have already ordered gearbox oil and will be trying to get hold of a braided clutch hose, the don't seem to be available on eBay anymore?

One thing I would like some advice on is how much you reckon these jobs might cost in labour as I don't really have the space or equipment to do them at home. What I would like to get done is:

Brake fluid change and braided hoses fitted at the same time.
                        Gearbox oil change.
                        Clutch hose change
                        Lowering springs fitted ( might be able to do this at home if its not too difficult)

Ordered some wheel spacers as well but not sure what size bolts I'm going to need for them?

Also ordered myself a storm gear knob to try and improve the shift and also because they look nice

So overall I've spent a few hundred pound already, to be fair most of it doesn't need doing, the gearshift I can get used to but don't want to if a few little fixes will make a big improvement.

The weather has been dry mostly the last few days so have been out in the car getting used to it. Quicker than I thought it would be in 2nd gear compared to the Saab aero I was driving before, if only could go from 2nd to 3rd smoothly

Comment

Ive fitted a storm weighted gear knob to mine and it makes a massive difference on the gear change.
                          Almost felt a bit to easy going into gear at first but ive got used to it know and defo wouldnt want to change back to a standard one.
                          Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

Good to see someone else from Glasgow. Would be good to meet up at some stage. I split my time between the West End of Glasgow and Northern Ireland. I'm wondering did you buy the car in Northern Ireland or am I mistaken?

Anyway. Welcome - and nice car. I'm really warming to Imola these days.

CB
                            98 S50 Cosmos Black/Black interior (previously 98 S50 Estoril Blue/2 tone blue interior)
                            My band’s debut album Killer Diller by Drinking Bird Experiment is available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all the usual other digital outlets.
                            http://bit.ly/dbespotify
                            http://bit.ly/dbeitunes
                            http://bit.ly/dbeamazon
                            http://bit.ly/dbegoogle

Comment

Yeah, I went over to Belfast to pick it up, was posted up in the classifieds here.

Got a load of cleaning gear delivered today so need to wait for a good day and see how the paintwork comes up.

Comment

Working...
                              X