Stereo upgrade/replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo upgrade/replacement

After a bit of consideration of selling up, I have decided to keep the coupe and use it a bit more. To increase practicality I want to replace/upgrade the head unit to allow:

1) Bluetooth calling
    2) Bluetooth audio streaming for Spotify/Tune-in
    3) DAB (although not essential as I could stream internet radio)

As far as I can see, there are 2 options:

1) Replace the headunit. Might improve sound quality a bit, but will look less OEM and more like a halfords display unit...

2) Add an AUX in, and connect something like a Pure Highway 600. Keeps existing headunit, but I am struggling to find an AUX adaptor to fit. There is a DIY to take over the Tape inputs that might work, but reports on sound quality are varied.

Any thoughts? What are others using?
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

All I can say is that I replaced my headunit with a half decent Alpine some years ago, but without changing the speakers you're tied into shocking quality imo.

The stereo in my 1.0 Corsa sound better and that's OEM.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

I second that thought - the stock speakers are abysmal. Replacing the head unit will get you what you're after though. You can always go back and tackle the speakers/amps. I'm halfway down that path now, having replaced the head unit but still working on the wiring in the back. You need a lot of patience for that part - taking apart the "wall" behind the seats is ridiculous.
      http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...0914175812.jpg
      Last edited by Grumpy_Smurf; 24-12-2017, 12:22 AM. Reason: 1
      sigpic 2000 Imola over Imola

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Smurf View Post
        I second that thought - the stock speakers are abysmal. Replacing the head unit will get you what you're after though. You can always go back and tackle the speakers/amps. I'm halfway down that path now, having replaced the head unit but still working on the wiring in the back. You need a lot of patience for that part - taking apart the "wall" behind the seats is ridiculous.
        http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?

id=75640520170914175812.jpg

If your coupe is still apart can you tell me where the boot cd changer gets its 12v power from (if fitted)

Comment

Sorry Dave mine didn't have a cd changer. It is still apart though, but I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. This weekend isn't supposed to be much above freezing so it will be awhile if there's anything I can get for you. I do remember a loose connector that I'm sure went to it - I should be able to probe them for power.
          sigpic 2000 Imola over Imola

Comment

Just coming back to this as I am finally getting round to it...

There is a suggestion on one of the Z3 forums that if you replace the stock h/u in a HK car that the sub stops working? As far as I can see the sub is powered from the HK amp using the rear speaker outputs from the head unit, so I can't see why this would be the case? Can anyone that has replaced their head unit confirm?

Also, has anyone replaced their roof aerial with a DAB compatible one? I am not much of a fan of the windscreen glass-mounted aerials, and was thinking of something like:

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic...ar_aerial.html

I am presuming you have to get under the headlining to remove the old aerial, then route new cabling. Might be a PITA....
            '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Yes I have fitted a DAB aerial on my car, well the audio fitter did it. He had to drop the roof lining to do it. I’ll look the details up on what aerial I purchased, I’m sure I used Dabonwheels also.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Mine is HK and works very well; just replaced the headunit using a standard ISO connector and all is ok. I did try an ISO+HK connector (extra wires to use pre-outs) but I didn't like the volume adjustment; had to turn it nearly full for music to get louder. With the standard ISO connector volume is louder per volume display on the headunit. No difference in sound quality and also means you don't need to squash a load of extra wires in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                  Mine is HK and works very well; just replaced the headunit using a standard ISO connector and all is ok. I did try an ISO+HK connector (extra wires to use pre-outs) but I didn't like the volume adjustment; had to turn it nearly full for music to get louder. With the standard ISO connector volume is louder per volume display on the headunit. No difference in sound quality and also means you don't need to squash a load of extra wires in the dash.
                  Thanks - I will give this a try.

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                  Yes I have fitted a DAB aerial on my car, well the audio fitter did it. He had to drop the roof lining to do it. I’ll look the details up on what aerial I purchased, I’m sure I used Dabonwheels also.
                  I don't suppose you know know which way he routed the aerial cables?

Comment

Looking at my invoice it was a Kinetic DRA-6003 DAB/FM/AM bundle - £48 back in 2013. It I recall its a powered aerial so there is a feed for that to install.

From what I can remember as the guy worked so fast, when I went out to look after 35mins he had roof lining down, the nearside trim from the A pillar off (must have run aerial wires behind it), glove box out and wires all over the place. He must have seen the look of horror on my face, "Don't worry it all goes back, this why I don't like customers to watch me!!"
                    Went back 30mins to see if he wanted a cuppa, "No thanks I'm finished"

The same guy has just finished a install on my son-in-laws car a Porsche Cayman, he did a great job on that as well.
                    Last edited by petecossie; 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM.
                    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                    1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Very helpful - thanks! That is the aerial that I am considering...

Comment

Don't suppose anyone has ever considered the heresy of fitting a shark fin, have they...Combines DAB with roof mounted GPS antenna.

Asking for a friend, obviously!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Don't suppose anyone has ever considered the heresy of fitting a shark fin, have they...Combines DAB with roof mounted GPS antenna.

Asking for a friend, obviously!
                          Steady now... I only went as far as fitting a stubbier (Honda Civic I think) aerial at one time, but soon changed it back

Pretty sure I’ve seen photos is an MC with a shark fin fitted on here somewhere
                          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I decided that my phone is perfectly adequate at streaming audio from DAB stations so bought a Bluetooth module for the standard stereo.
                            ----------------
                            David
                            1999 M Coupe (S50)
                            >>Read my journal here<<
                            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                              I decided that my phone is perfectly adequate at streaming audio from DAB stations so bought a Bluetooth module for the standard stereo.
                              I was just looking at your thread but couldn't see, which bluetooth module did end up with? Do you have a link?

My boot is all apart and CD changer is out so it's tempting to fit a bluetooth adaptor instead when i put it back together.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X