Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner

Hi there,

Been looking for an MGC GT for a few months (long story), disappointed with every one I viewed.
    Drove past dealers with Z3M coupe on forecourt, BANG!!
    Got a seriously quick straight six sports coupe without all the 50 year old problems!
    Still waiting to pick it up, but used the wealth of info on this forum to check it over, many thanks to all of you who participate.
    Couple of questions for you initially, many more to come no doubt.
    1) What is the best online workshop manual for a reasonably serious DIY enthusiast.
    2) Best security methods to stop my new pride & joy from being nicked!

Regards all,
    Howard

Welcome to the forum Howard

Comment

Welcome and a good choice Sir...........
      2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
      2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
      07 Volvo V70 D5
      1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
      1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

Regarding online workshop manual have a look at TIS

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e36-z3-m-3.2-cou/

not sure about anti theft device as the coupe has a Thatcham cat 1 alarm as standard

Comment

Welcome Howard
          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Welcome Howard. Good choice of car, good name too!
            Howard
            S54 M Coupe
            D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Welcome Howard,

Good choice of car!! I supplied my car to be part of a feature in Practical Classics a few years ago and there was a beautiful MGC GT there as part of the comparison against Triumph GT 6 and Datsun 240Z. It was in fantastic condition and a very desirable car to own.
              Got to sit in both the MGC and GT 6, they felt so cramped though compared to the Z3 MC.
              Look forward to seeing pics and info about your car.

Still time to sign up for Silverstone.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by Howm58 View Post
                Hi there,

Been looking for an MGC GT for a few months (long story), disappointed with every one I viewed.
                Drove past dealers with Z3M coupe on forecourt, BANG!!
                Got a seriously quick straight six sports coupe without all the 50 year old problems!
                Still waiting to pick it up, but used the wealth of info on this forum to check it over, many thanks to all of you who participate.
                Couple of questions for you initially, many more to come no doubt.
                1) What is the best online workshop manual for a reasonably serious DIY enthusiast.
                2) Best security methods to stop my new pride & joy from being nicked!

Regards all,
                Howard
                Welcome to forum, enjoy your ride mate !
                I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone (& hi Howard!).

Yes, the MGC is not only cramped with little in the way of safety devices (headrests, abs, airbags etc) it also gets very hot in the cockpit. The huge gearbox & overdrive unit that you are practically sitting on gets you sweating even on a test drive in March! No wonder the roadster version is more popular.
                  I think the difference between the MGC & Z3M is like comparing a WW2 Wellington Bomber With a jet fighter plane.

I am left wondering however which will appreciate in value faster.

Howard.

Comment

Originally posted by Howm58 View Post
                    Yes, the MGC is not only cramped with little in the way of safety devices (headrests, abs, airbags etc) it also gets very hot in the cockpit. The huge gearbox & overdrive unit that you are practically sitting on gets you sweating even on a test drive in March! No wonder the roadster version is more popular.
                    I think the difference between the MGC & Z3M is like comparing a WW2 Wellington Bomber With a jet fighter plane.
                    When the editor of the PC magazine drove all the cars up Fish Hill he really enjoyed his drive in my car as it really out performed the other cars which were part of the feature, but was just too competent at it's job.
                    However since the feature subject was 50 years of the Triumph GT6, it got top billing for its intoxicating fun even though it was a lot slower and agricultural.
                    Which echoes what you were saying above as he (the editor) said similar things about the MGC GT as he did the GT6.
                    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                    1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Hi Pete,

Its nice to know that forum members appreciate all forms of classic cars, not just the particular one they drive. Wellington Bombers were very effective in their day!!
                      I have just purchased a ticket for the Silverstone classic meet in July, so hope to meet a few of you then.

Regards,
                      Howard

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

In terms of security it seems that physical security seems to be the order of the day again as most car thieves are going equipped for digital smart theft these days.

That said, an MC is an analogue car and if one gets targeted then I'd guess it's to fulfill a special order and then who knows how hard they'll try. You do hear some horror stories of just how brazen and determined thieves can be.

A simple immobiliser working off an OEM switch is a good basic start if you don't want to lug a big steering lock around.

I'm just about to fit a quick release steering wheel boss and I'll take my Momo with me when leaving the car

Comment

Hi Pete,
                          Have just signed up for Silverstone Classic (Friday). Hope to meet a few of you then. Will post details of the car after I pick it up from dealers.
                          Regards,
                          Howard

Comment

Working...
                          X