Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashy front end

Anyone experienced this?

Had the tracking checked and all fine, ARB and bushes all good, drop links all good and no play in any steering components etc. Running standard suspension set up with 50k on the clock.

Basically when I hit a drain cover or pot hole with either side front wheel I get a crashy response and sort of a bump steer type feeling. Sort of rebounds and you have to slightly turn into it to recover from the bounce.

Is this a sign of screwed top mounts? There is no knocking noises etc. Or could it be camber/toe?

Any ideas or does anyone's car do this?

I had similar symptoms a while back,so had the big bushes that sit at the rear of the suspension arms renewed...big difference !

Comment

These cars are also very sensitive to front tyre choice as well and can be like driving night and day with some tyre brands, you just wouldn't believe they could make such a difference until you have experienced it yourself. I had some pirelli pzero's which were awful and had quite violent bump steer tendancies until I swithed to a set of Hankook evo's which had absolutly non of these characteristics so much so it was an absolute revolation.

Rear wishbone bushes do help alot but I think tyre choice plays an even bigger effect in this type of problem.
      Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
      ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        These cars are also very sensitive to front tyre choice as well and can be like driving night and day with some tyre brands, you just wouldn't believe they could make such a difference until you have experienced it yourself. I had some pirelli pzero's which were awful and had quite violent bump steer tendancies until I swithed to a set of Hankook evo's which had absolutly non of these characteristics so much so it was an absolute revolation.

Rear wishbone bushes do help alot but I think tyre choice plays an even bigger effect in this type of problem.

Thanks for the info fellas. Just had a new set of michelin pilot sports all round, these were fitted a couple of weeks ago and they made a bit of difference but certainly not night and day compared to before the change.

Might just be the characteristics of these cars? Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Comment

I had a similar issue, the front lolly pop bushes looked okay until you jacked the car up and loaded 1 side only then did you see the split down the side of the bush
          BMW e21 track car
          Z3M (S62)
          2.8 Z3 Coupe
          Ariel Atom
          GT86 race car
          Ferrari 348 Challenge
          Merc G500

Comment

Yup..thats the part i feel sure is the issue,,,the Tyre theory is doubtful!
            Last edited by kwoffa; 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM. Reason: shite spelling!

Comment

Thanks guys...which bush do you think it is on the real oem link?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=05&lang=en

Comment

6 Mate!

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                  6 Mate!
                  Cheers Kwoffa

Comment

Do you buy the whole thing or just replace the rubber bush?

Comment

You just buy a pair of the bushes!

Comment

Originally posted by Imolacoupe22 View Post
                        Anyone experienced this?

Had the tracking checked and all fine, ARB and bushes all good, drop links all good and no play in any steering components etc. Running standard suspension set up with 50k on the clock.

Basically when I hit a drain cover or pot hole with either side front wheel I get a crashy response and sort of a bump steer type feeling. Sort of rebounds and you have to slightly turn into it to recover from the bounce.

Is this a sign of screwed top mounts? There is no knocking noises etc. Or could it be camber/toe?

Any ideas or does anyone's car do this?
                        Hi Guys,
                        Had the same symptoms as Imolacoupe, got 2 new wishbone bushes (which were split and worn) replaced today and the difference is like night and day...excellent

Comment

Originally posted by stevez3m View Post
                          Hi Guys,
                          Had the same symptoms as Imolacoupe, got 2 new wishbone bushes (which were split and worn) replaced today and the difference is like night and day...excellent
                          How bizarre, replaced mine today too along with two new drop links as I was under there anyway and I agree....night and day difference! Also changed the tailgate struts too to stop the bloody boot slamming on my head every time I use it. £46 each though, what a rip off.

Comment

Which bushes did you replace, front wishbones but at the rear?
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Imolacoupe22 View Post
                              How bizarre, replaced mine today too along with two new drop links as I was under there anyway and I agree....night and day difference! Also changed the tailgate struts too to stop the bloody boot slamming on my head every time I use it. £46 each though, what a rip off.
                              I also need tailgate struts where did you buy them ??

Spooks, the bushes are the one's described earlier in the thread, number 6 in the diagram (I think)

Comment

Working...
                              X