Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed front suspension - time for a refresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed front suspension - time for a refresh?

So my wife called me yesterday morning to tell me that she had taken the MC out, and it was making some awful knocking/grinding noises. Got home to take a look, and the front driver's side suspension has collapsed. It appears that the spring is broken/bent and has come off of the metal plate that supports it below (sorry - I don't know the technical terms!).

I have been thinking about a refresh for a little while, as the shocks are in a bit of a state. I've read around these forums a few times to look at options. Bearing in mind:

1) I use the car for road use only, around 5-6,000 miles a year, mainly touring.
    2) The roads around here aren't great, so I want to keep a comfortable ride (but tightening up the handling wouldn't go amiss). I also don't really want to lower by much (or not at all)
    3) If I spend too much, my wife will make me sell it...

The options seem to be:

1) Replace with new stock dampers/springs all round (with/without H&R ARBs)
    2) Go aftermarket. Adjustable shocks probably aren't necessary, so best option appears to be Bilstein B6/B8. Again with/without H&R ARBs

I also intend to replace the steering rack at the same time (it has a lot of play at the centre) - was thinking of a used purple label E46 from Ebay.

Anyone any thoughts on the above? Is anyone running H&R ARBs with stock suspension? Should I be thinking of replacing anything else (suspension or steering) at the same time? Top mounts are relatively new (but not Rogue)...
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

I personally find the OEM setup fine for road use. Had all my suspension/steering rack etc renewed a couple of years ago with OEM parts.
    If you stiffen/lower anything you change the design compromise equation, which is fine if that is what you're after. Worth noting that many "tune" and later revert to stock.
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Thanks Ian. Did you notice a difference in handling once you had refreshed everything?

Was the steering rack a standard, or a Z3/purple label?
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

The rear was notably tighter, and the front firmer. Car had done almost 200K at the time so not really surprising. That said, the original parts had lasted well.

Replaced rack with an OEM S54 one. Have heard that Z3 racks are "quicker" (not really sure how this translates on the road). Have driven my car over 210K miles (no track days) since 2005 (am second owner) and have always been content with the car as designed by BMW.

Worth mentioning that my car has no stress cracks/boot weld failures that many other (often tuned) cars have experienced. This is not scientific but my opinion is that harder settings are a major cause of such failure.

I am sure many other opinions will be expressed for you to consider, but this is mine.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
          Worth noting that many "tune" and later revert to stock.
          Do they?

The only reason that I can see for people reverting to stock is when it comes to selling if they believe that OEM spec will be valued more highly
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
            Do they?

The only reason that I can see for people reverting to stock is when it comes to selling if they believe that OEM spec will be valued more highly
            That is one reason, and such hides the harder life the car has had from potential buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
              So my wife called me yesterday morning to tell me that she had taken the MC out, and it was making some awful knocking/grinding noises. Got home to take a look, and the front driver's side suspension has collapsed. It appears that the spring is broken/bent and has come off of the metal plate that supports it below (sorry - I don't know the technical terms!).

I have been thinking about a refresh for a little while, as the shocks are in a bit of a state. I've read around these forums a few times to look at options. Bearing in mind:

1) I use the car for road use only, around 5-6,000 miles a year, mainly touring.
              2) The roads around here aren't great, so I want to keep a comfortable ride (but tightening up the handling wouldn't go amiss). I also don't really want to lower by much (or not at all)
              3) If I spend too much, my wife will make me sell it...

The options seem to be:

1) Replace with new stock dampers/springs all round (with/without H&R ARBs)
              2) Go aftermarket. Adjustable shocks probably aren't necessary, so best option appears to be Bilstein B6/B8. Again with/without H&R ARBs

I also intend to replace the steering rack at the same time (it has a lot of play at the centre) - was thinking of a used purple label E46 from Ebay.

Anyone any thoughts on the above? Is anyone running H&R ARBs with stock suspension? Should I be thinking of replacing anything else (suspension or steering) at the same time? Top mounts are relatively new (but not Rogue)...
              I had a virtually complete suspension overhaul in September(I kept the OEM springs as they were fine).

I went for OEM everything, except shocks, which are B6's. I deliberated for years over what I was going to use when I finally got the work done, and like you had concluded adjustable was not what I wanted.
              Obviously having done 100k+, the whole ride was transformed, so it was definitely money well spent - how much of this is down to the B6's I don't know.
              There is no doubt it's firmer and significantly flatter in corners(ARB's are OEM), but this would have been the case to some degree with new OEM shocks too as the originals were pretty tired.

Having watched some of the old M coupe reviews on youtube, you can see how much it rolls on OEM and B6's have reduced that dramatically without question, allowing me to drive with much more confidence than before. The only trade off being say, 20% firmer ride.

To conclude this rather wordy reply, I'd say it feels like a proper sports car now which given the very occasional use, is ideal for me. I've got a set of boxed, unopened H&R ARB's in the garage which have been there for 2 years now. Now the work's been done, I've no intention of fitting them at all, it's as good as it needs to be, for me anyway.
              S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

All really helpful - thanks!

Seca - other than shocks, did you replace anything else? Am I allowed to ask what it cost? Any idea what the cost is compared to stock?

Ian - I suspect you are right. If I replace with a stock steering rack it will improve over the knackered one that it currently has. I must confess, when my wife phoned yesterday morning my first thought was - "bugger, the boot floor has finally gone...!"

Comment

Hi mate,

Full list was as follows:

Brake reaction bushes
                  Top mounts all around
                  Hex bolts
                  NS Tie rod
                  OS Tie rod
                  W/bone bush pair
                  Guide support
                  gasket top mount
                  bolt

Bilstein B6 front and rear

The shocks were actually cheaper than OEM, so I just couldn't not try them tbh.

The whole lot fitted was less than 2k, but more than 1500, including getting a braided clutch hose. I'll give you the full breakdown if you just pm me.

Cheers,

David.
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

OEM shocks are truly awful so replace with Bilstein which are cheaper and better quality than originals, new springs from BMW if standard height is required,

doing this will give a ride more akin to how it should have left the factory from new I don't think even Miss Daisy would buy new BMW shocks

Comment

Steering rack slop/deadplay is likely to be the rubber bush in the steering column IMO, and not the rack itself. That said a non-M rack is a good upgrade for quick/responsive steering.

Originally posted by ian View Post
                      That is one reason, and such hides the harder life the car has had from potential buyers.
                      You mean like DavePs?

Most people do revert to stock to sell, then someone buys a blank canvas and highly likely they will do the same things to it

Comment

Upgraded suspension equals harder life? Oh come on now

My car came with ACS suspension (Bilstein coilovers). Suspension sold by BMW as a performance upgrade on M Coupes from new. Better performance does not mean a harder time. It could actually be argued that the opposite is the case
                        Last edited by Fat Tony; 21-04-2017, 09:48 PM.
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

It's a good point actually, at the time ACS were BMW-approved accessories only sold through dealers - they wouldn't any old stuff be sold through their parts departments. They parted company about 10yrs(?) ago when BMW made it's own M Performance branding.

Comment

So things seem to be heading towards Bilstein B6 and stock springs. I'm still undecided whether to go stock or standard z3 for the steering rack.

Anything else I should consider whilst I am doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              OEM shocks are truly awful so replace with Bilstein which are cheaper and better quality than originals, new springs from BMW if standard height is required,

doing this will give a ride more akin to how it should have left the factory from new I don't think even Miss Daisy would buy new BMW shocks
                              Bloody cheek, aftermarket ones must be easier to polish.

Comment

Working...
                              X