Oil level sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level sensor

My engine oil light flashes when I start the car, the fault is with the oil level sensor, located in the sump.

The Indy has advised that the part (12611406609) is OEM only and is coming out at £168.00. Seems a bit rich to me.

Anyone know a dealer who does a good discount or anyone got an idea where I could source one?

As the sensor is in the sump it needs to be replaced as part of an oil change so I do it now or wait another two years. flash . . Flash . . . . . Flash . . .

Not sure who makes the genuine part,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3...item3f5861ea4d

Comment

Cheers Dave. I will give that one a go and report back how I got on. Saves £70+ on OEM.

Comment

Very common part to fail.

You will need to pay for an oil change at the same time, as it drains on removal. So you may as well have an oil and filters service done at the same time.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Good post, thanks Dave

Any link for the oil sensor for S54??
          Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Comment

Originally posted by jashan View Post
            Good post, thanks Dave

Any link for the oil sensor for S54??
            Several part numbers for the S54 oil level sensor,

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/12/12_2033/

Comment

I don't know if either S50 or S54 are the same as my old E46 330is, which both had the M54 motor, but they failed roughly every 6 months. I got an Indy to change the first one, and the second because the first was still under warranty, but gave up after that and did it myself. It's an easy enough job and in my experience the OEM part is no more reliable than the ebay ones. Do an oil change at the same time - don't pay a dealer, there can't be an easier car to do an oil change on - the filter's staring you in the face when you open the bonnet. You might need to drop a brace to access the sensor but there are loads of diys about which will show you (for the saloons at any rate).

Comment

I've now bought a non-OEM sensor from buycarpartsuk. The sensor looks ok and is branded as a Hella product. Only time will tell if it's any good, I'll report back to the forum.

However, I wouldn't recommend the company I used. Despite saying the sensor was in stock it actually took nigh on a week to arrive, as the company is based in Germany. The 'costumer' (what they call you on email) service wasn't that great but hey ho, you pays your money . . .

Comment

Just to say the Hella branded oil sensor has been fitted and works a treat. £70 back in the beer fund.

Comment

How much was the one your bought (do you have the Hella part number)? Cheers.
                    2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

I purchased the part from buycarparts.co.uk, who are based in Germany. You can't trust their delivery lead times but the part was well packaged and the price was acceptable.

6PR 007 134-071

Hope this help.

Chris

Comment

I've used them, there's a mirror site of a different name but clearly the same company. Genuine OEM parts are good prices like sensors.

Comment

Working...
                        X