Rear Quarter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
    Wow, that's really helpful - and looking great!
    This is pretty much the job I want to do. I've had the sill and front side panel off, and the trim to do the rear mount.
    One question - does the black inside window trim have to come right off to access the wing bolts? I've had it off enough to remove the carpet for the top mount, but I gather removing it entirely needs seatbelts etc. to come out. Can I get the wing off with the front of this trim still attached?
    Thanks,
    Roger
    This trim? yes that that needs removing.

Comment

you can just about see how far you have to go with the trim removal in this shot.

Comment

Right, thanks. I seem to remember reading that even more trim, seatbelts and part of the centre console, has to come off to get these side panels right off.
        May not be doing this soon after all as it's starting to look like a pretty big job!

Comment

Many thanks for the posts Imolacoupe! Makes taking off/refitting clearer now!

I do think it is sooooooooo frustrating doing any work on the rear of these inside, The person who designed how the trim fits should be shot. To remove anything requires the whole rear car to be dismantled. Although when doing the rear dampers I couldn't be bothered and strained the rear covers back, as I would be tempted to do with the window sill trims...

Comment

OK, I lied - I did one side this afternoon.
            The window inner trim does need to come right off - there's a screw under the B post trim that you must remove. The three top bolts for the wing can then be accessed easily, and the rear wing will slide out sideways and backwards from beneath the window sealing strip.
            Beware the small trim seal in the return of the C pillar - just one nut holding that in, accessed with the taillight out, the upper clip slides out.
            The rear bumper does not need to come off.
            Luckily mine ('01 S54) had only surface rust, some bubbles under the side window seal. I got a couple of Titan Silver aerosols, a clear lacquer and a fade-out from Paints-4-u to deal with this, and will cover the insides with Dinitrol before getting it back together tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X