will these fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will these fit?

I'm about to order a set of rogue RTM. I hear the ireland engineering is the best place to go. All droplinks have been ordered and so have the H&R ARB's.

A 2003 Compact Rack is also in the garage waiting for the car to come back from the garage.

Next on the list is the shocks and springs. I have H&R Lowering springs but the shocks havent been changed in the 110k life of the car. I've spent Hours and Hours Reading Posts and opinions regarding different set ups. Im thinking of going down the spax or bilstein route. I'm aware that people often opt for Bilstein but i've read that the spax are very similar. I found these on ebay. They are dirt cheap so alarms start to ring straight away. I am Willing to take a punt if no one has experience with them but didn't wanna waste my money without getting some feedback here.

My main concern is that would they even fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1908401834...84.m1423.l2649

Bottom line is those Spax rears WILL fit the coupe fine.

I run Bilstein B8 front dampers and Spax rears with shortened rods but the rears on mine are adjustable. Seem quite reliable

The dampers I have are the Spax G40EA ("Krypton" Gas adjustable).

Comment

Do they do rears to match ?

Comment

Originally posted by steve1968 View Post
        Do they do rears to match ?
        they are rears

Comment

Sorry didn't read it properly

Do they do fronts to match

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post

I run Bilstein B8 front dampers and Spax rears with shortened rods but the rears on mine are adjustable. Seem quite reliable

The dampers I have are the Spax G40EA ("Krypton" Gas adjustable).
            Whats that set up like? You also running H&R springs?

I know from earlier post you also have the rsf bush inserts. from what i can find the guy doesn't make them anymore? i think this is something else i need to do which i forgot to list.

Comment

Definitely get the subframe inserts as a minimum if you can get them, it gives the rear end so much more control. I found it more stable in acceleration/lift off conditions.

I have breifly run H&R springs, but now run ACS Springs, IMO they are the best off the shelf aftermarket springs, but the H&R I'd say are in "2nd" place.

For me the rear B8 damper wasn't stiff enough (it is still a nice upgrade over OEM though) which is why I tried a few other dampers on the rear, KYB, Koni & AVO adjustables before settling on the Spax for the past 4 years or so. The good thing is that unlike the Koni adjustable, the Spax adjusts for both bump and rebound meaning it can be set quite stiff for track and reduce reactive squat and then set softer on the road, although I just set mine and leave it. On the Koni, being rebound adjustment only, it meant that the spring needs to be pretty stiff as the bump setting is too soft.

The AVO adjustables just weren't reliable, they kindly revalved them for free but I'm positive they got it wrong despite giving my a lab test showing the valving curve (when I adjusted them the bump went up massively and the rebound stayed the same). I think I've still got them somewhere.

The G40EA is the E36 Compact rear damper (and maybe E30 M3 - any E30 based rear damper will fit though); make sure you get this shorter stroke version, I originally got the G192 adjustable damper which is normal length and it didn't last long on the ACS springs so I imagine it broke a seal or something.

Comment

Looks like I may have to go down replacing the entire bush. I cannot seem to find anyone who sells them. I've heard they can be made and others using other things like adhesive compounds.

If your already running them then I guess it makes more sense to buy something that's tried and tested :-) ill look into purchasing them. I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Obviously don't replace with a factory bush as they are just too soft as standard. It's not a 5minute job to replace them so I would search out for the inserts a bit longer IMO, even if it's just a pair you find as just one in either side (the rear most hole only I found works well).

Comment

For the inserts; can't you make your own by cutting out longitudinal sections from plastic guttering or drainpipe? Anything that will fill the voids in the OEM subframe bushes will do the trick provided that it doesn't cut the rubber of the bush.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                      For the inserts; can't you make your own by cutting out longitudinal sections from plastic guttering or drainpipe? Anything that will fill the voids in the OEM subframe bushes will do the trick provided that it doesn't cut the rubber of the bush.
                      Has anyone made a template?

Id have no issue making them if that's all it is.

Comment

they do look like pvc drain pipe,

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          they do look like pvc drain pipe,
                          Many thanks for the pic Dave,

Look easy enough, if anyone has measurements it would be really handy.

Comment

Re. The rogue top mounts. I bought some meyle hd items ( as recommended by CW) and reinforced top plates made by a forum member http://z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15575

A similar solution, less than half the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
                              Re. The rogue top mounts. I bought some meyle hd items ( as recommended by CW) and reinforced top plates made by a forum member http://z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15575

A similar solution, less than half the cost.
                              From what I understand mike, these solve 2 different issues?

I am already ordering rogue rsm's and Meyle droplinks.
                              I was looking into the reinforced top plates also but I don't see how these help with the movement of the subframe it's self.

Comment

Working...
                              X